Monday, April 22nd is Earth Day! Show your love for our planet with these 7 ways to celebrate Earth Day with your dog, from Cesar’s Way:
1. Cut down on waste that takes space and switch to biodegradable poop bags. The bags decompose in about the same amount of time as an apple.
2. Overpopulation, and consequently euthanization, is the #1 killer of dogs in this country. Visit your local shelter and adopt, or volunteer with a rescue group to help as many dogs in need find great forever homes.
3. Old blankets and sheets may seem like junk to you, but to the dogs at your local shelter, they are beds and comfort. Instead of trashing your old linens and towels, donate them to your local shelter.
4. Old socks with missing pairs? Make a dog toy out of it! Recycling household products and making dog toys is a great way to re-use, rather than consume. Plus, dog toys sold at pet stores can be expensive and wasteful of our planet’s resources.
5. Instead of driving to the dog park, how about rollerblading, biking or just walking instead? It’s more exercise and time for you and your dog to spend together, and it’s not using fossil fuels or spewing greenhouse gases into the air.
6. Consider a natural, holistic diet with a high vegetable content for your dog. Eating organic and local is good for the planet and good for your health.
7. Check your household cleaning products and make sure you’re using ones that are chemical-free and therefore, not contributing to harmful runoff into our ground and water sources.
Be sure to check out our Green Living page for more earth-friendly ideas for dog owners.
How do you plan to celebrate Earth Day with your dog?