Front Page News

Are Your Dog’s Toys Poisoning Him?

According to a presentation by the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry conference, many of the plastic and rubbery toys and fetching batons that our dogs chew on and play with every day, contain dangerous chemicals that may be harmful to their health.

Plastic and rubbery dog toys like this chew bone, may contain dangerous levels of poisonous chemicals.

You’ve no doubt read the warning labels or seen children’s toys and sippy cups advertising that they are now “BPA Free.” BPA, or bisphenol A, is a chemical added to plastic and vinyl to give it elasticity. Recent studies have shown that this chemical, which had previously been widely used in plastic and vinyl products ranging from cups and dinner plates, to toys and storage bins, acts as endocrine disruptors that mimic estrogen or act as anti-androgens when leached into the human body.

These recent studies and warnings regarding chemicals used in plastic and their danger to humans caught the attention of The Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, who decided to research the same chemicals and their potential danger in dog toys.

According to Discovery News, Phil Smith and Kimberly Wooten of Texas Tech University co-authored the study. Phil Smith, who raises, trains, and hunts with his Labrador Retrievers, was especially concerned with the fetching batons, or “bumpers,” that are commonly, and heavily, used during training, and plastic and rubber toys that many dogs play with every day, including chew-bones that are given to dogs as a supposed safe alternative to chewing real bones and foreign objects during teething.

To test for the chemicals, the researchers created simulated dog saliva, then simulated chewing by squeezing purchased bumpers and dog toys with stainless steel salad tongs. Some bumpers and toys were also weathered outside to determine if older toys gave off more chemicals.

“We found that the aging or weathering the toys increased concentrations of BPA and phthalates,” Smith explained. “The toys had lower concentrations of phthalates than the bumpers, so that’s good news. But they also had some other chemicals that mimicked estrogen. We need to find out what those are.”

Wooten explained that BPA and phthalates can have effects on developing fetuses and can have a lifelong effect on offspring of lab animals. Studies on humans have resulted in mixed conclusions, but concern was enough to warrant the U.S. government banning the use of BPA in baby bottles this year.

Many more studies have yet to be conducted, especially regarding the safety of these rubber and plastic toys and the chemicals that are leached into our dogs’ bodies. However, Smith and Wooten’s research indicated that levels of BPA and phthalates contained within dog toys are higher than those normally found in children’s toys.

Luckily, since the discovery of the negative effects of BPA on children, some dog toy manufacturers have already started a trend of manufacturing BPA Free dog toys. Some safe bets in you’re looking to buy dog toys free of these potentially harmful chemicals are Planet Dog, West Paw Design, Jolly Pets, Premier Pets, and Chewber.

For the safety of your pets, look for products that are “BPA Free” or made in the US from 100% natural rubber. If you know of a brand that provides these types of safe dog toys and fetching batons, please share with our readers in a comment below.

1. Pingback: Best Chew Toys For Puppies & Puppy Teething Toys In 2017 - Ultimate Home Life

2. Pingback: Never Give Your Dog a Toy If It Contains These Toxic Chemicals (and 5 safe brands to look for) - Healthy Holistic Living

3. steve

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Sit. Stay. Forever. designs and manufactures pet carriers, beds and toys that are constructed from materials that are certified TOXIN FREE / HYPOALLERGENIC in an effort to give our pets and families a healthier life style.

4. Nancy

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Sumo, Kong replica killed my bird yesterday, the toy was on the top of the crate in the sun, when I came home from work, there was a strong smell in the house, from the toy, and my bird was dead!Never again will I buy ANY of their products!

• Sarah

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I’m so sorry For your loss Nancy!! My prayers are with you!! 🙁

Thank you for sharing your story as I was researching info on this topic and almost bought a product by this company right now for my dog and I’m glad I skipped it, I’m so sorry again for your loss but hopefully you’ve helped save the lives of other innocent animals out there as I decided to skip this purchase due to you sharing your heartbreaking story!! Xo

5. Susie

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I’m a little confused. I see BPA mentioned in relation to both plastic and rubber, but I thought BPA was something used in certain types of plastic? I thought rubber doesn’t have BPA?

Also, I thought something that says ‘natural rubber’ won’t have BPAs regardless of what country it comes from?

6. Melissa

May 30, 2014 at 12:46 am

I love my baby’s safe doggie toy and it is on the approved list! Lol Terri I get mine from Celadon Road too! Haha!

7. Terri

May 30, 2014 at 12:41 am

That is why my dogs enjoy BPA free toys. Look at my selection of BPA free dog toys and chews.
    Check out my website at :

8. Patti Friedman

May 29, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I’m so pleased to see Planet Dog on your list of BPA free toys. I’ve been purchasing their Orbee balls for my Labrador Retrievers for several years. They’re not only BPA free, but they seem to be indestructible.

9. Barb Canfield

May 29, 2014 at 1:19 pm

kongs and nylabones are both bpa free. nylabones come in different hardnesses and sizes so you can customize for your particular dog.

10. Kelly

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Antlers are a good option for some, but they are to hard for regular chewing. They cause micro fractures and can cause serious damage to your dogs teeth. Your dog should not chew anything that is that hard. Raw bones are a good option, but bare bones and weight bearing bones of large animals are dangerous as they can also cause micro fractures and cause a dog to chip a tooth. These don’t nec happen over night and they wont happen in every dog, but you should be aware of the risks because they can be great.

We give trachea, frozen cuts, bone with meat on it and other similar things that the dogs system can handle. You can also make other frozen or dehydrated treats that will be more malleable as they chew on them, but still give them a good workout.

p.s. cooked bone is always a huge NO.

11. William parr

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:46 pm

My dog loves chewing on look a likes of him, he’s a black lab are they poisoning him. Douglas cuddle toys. He’s a black lab I bought him a large one and he carry sit around.. Though he tears it apart and rips the stuffing out.

12. Denise Hunter

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm

In July 2012 my vet said my 8 yr old Dachshund needed dental work over $330 worth. I went and started buying marrow bones for her. 1 a week. The same vet just told me March 5th she has the teeth of a puppy. My answer give them raw bones to chew on always.

• tara

May 30, 2014 at 6:19 pm

when you say ‘marrow bones’ what exactly do you mean?? both of mine are senior rescues who would be at risk having anesthesia so if i can aide them further (beside dental water additive, cet tooth gel) by giving them whatever it is you spoke of, i will give it a try. we used to have “bone time” when my little girl was still with us, but my very exciteable shiba eats the bully sticks…very HARD bully sticks…so quickly i don’t want any choking….
      any info would be terrific
      thanks

13. Helen

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:08 am

This site lists some that are bpa free incl kong and nylabone.

14. Dina P

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:10 am

I am concerned about rubber Kongs and kong squeaky balls now. Hopefully
    They are made in US.

15. Jen

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm

The things we have already purchased I mean. Any way to tell?

16. Jen

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:43 pm

So how do we know if the things we are buying are ok? Or not?

• Joyce Mc Laren

May 2, 2017 at 11:21 am

Where can I get my dogs new toy tested for toxic material. I bought her a new toy and within a couple hours she was vomiting and kept drinking water and then vomit again.She died the next day. I want to know if she was poisoned from that new toy

17. Stacey weber

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

It cannot be proven but I bought my lab a soft snowman toy that i didnt notice was from china in november. The red dye was comibg off and about 5 days after that happened he had a focal siezure. Threw it away and he stopped having them…

18. Tracey

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

I agree with the deer antler…and they are collected after they are shed. I also give raw bone…

19. Wendy K

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:24 am

I bought a segment of deer antler from a local pet store about 2 months ago for my senior mutt because he tears everything else apart. Its still in one piece, and I am surprised. I’m pretty sure they are also sold on the internet and there is no BPA in deer antler. For those concerned about the buck, you can specifically buy antlers that are collected after they fall off.

• Nicole

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:39 pm

How do you know if they are the kind that fell off? Does the packaging state that?

20. helga adami

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:30 pm

thanks for the information, I will check the toys now more carefully

21. Dorie

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Buy BPA free toys NOT MADE IN CHINA OR ANY OTHER FOREIGN COUNTRY.

22. Patty

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Yes, they are poisoning our animals. Even down to the dog bowls that they eat out of. And just because it says “Toxic free” doesn’t mean that you are safe. I have contacted a company that says “Toxic free” but they still cannot tell me if there are any BPA’s in it. My dogs have very few plastic toys and what I buy cost probably 5xs more than the regular toys. It just ends up being cheaper than the vet bills for problems. Buy nothing “Made in China”. You have to be very, very careful.

23. ruth

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:57 pm

whats the alternative? our dogs need to chew – logs and bones?

24. Carolyn

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Now I am worried, We buy Nylabone toys — how do I found out if they are toxic?

Brandy Arnold

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm

We’ve confirmed – Nylabones are 100% BPA-free and safe for extended chewing!

• Debra Duffy

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:09 am

If it looks like plastic, it’s plastic. Would you chew on plastic? Buy beef marrow bones from the butcher. No BPAs, just good bone, marrow and live enzymes which only benefits your dog and cleans his teeth! It’s a win-win. And when the marrow is gone from the middle, wash the bone, stuff the middle with yogurt, peanut butter, liver wurst , freeze it and your dog has another treat that will last for hours.