Working

Boxer Breed Interesting Facts

The Boxer dog breed is a dog of many fine qualities enjoyed by dog owners worldwide. Many people I know have owned Boxers, and I have found them to be a friendly, very playful dog with excellent intelligence. Easy to train and great guard dogs; the Boxer dog breed has a very loyal following with many dog owners never considering any other breed of dog to own. Let’s look at a few of the interesting characteristics these fine canines have.

The Boxer dog breed has an average lifespan of 15 years, and with quality, all natural diets combined with plenty of exercise, this can be extended. The average male Boxer will weigh 60 to 80 pounds while the females weigh-in about twenty pounds less.

All dogs have a distinct sensing ability they rely on, and for the Boxer this is his hearing. This breed has very acute hearing abilities, and this is their first line of defense when stranger and other animals enter their turf. The ears are small and erect adding to this ability to hear better than most other breeds.

If you are in the market for a dog and plan on keeping it outside year round, please pass on buying a Boxer because they are not able to tolerate temperature extremes very well. Inside your home is where a Boxer must be kept so they are warm during winter and cool during the summer. This is due to their very short coat of hair and the short muzzle. All dogs with short muzzles have difficulty breathing in hot, humid weather and should be kept in a cool environment when the temperature rises.

These dogs have a pronounced square head and very square jaw line. They are muscular and when exercised regularly their muscles are well defined and add to the over-all beauty of the dog.

Be prepared to deal with a very playful canine should you bring a Boxer into your home. They love to play with other dogs as well as their owners. As their name suggests they like to rear up on the hind legs and “punch” with the front paws.

The Boxer dog breed will make a great pet and protector of your home and family.

1. Computer Repair Pompano Beach

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Very well written!

2. driving instructors jarrow

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:44 pm

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with useful information to work on. You’ve performed an impressive
    task and our whole neighborhood might be grateful to you.

3. video editing

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts
    as long as I provide credit and sources back to your
    website? My blog site is in the very same niche as yours and my users would truly
    benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this
    alright with you. Thank you!

4. www.google.com

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:52 pm

It is in reality a great and useful piece of info. I’m happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

5. Sharon

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I’m not sure where you got your “facts” from, but these comments are not based on facts.

“The Boxer dog breed has an average lifespan of 15 years, and with quality, all natural diets combined with plenty of exercise, this can be extended.”

The average lifespan of the Boxer is 10-12 years, though they can live longer, that is not the norm or “average”. Boxers are predisposed to cancer, and cardiomyopathy, which can significantly cut short their lifespans.

“Color markings for Boxers are normally brown to light tan with small white areas on the chest and feet. One of the more highly sought after Boxers is the brindle. These dogs are tan with dark stripes much as you see on wild tigers. Also very rare are the all-white Boxers.”

The term used for a Boxer’s “brown or tan” coloring is Fawn. Fawn can range from a light, or blonde fawn, to a dark mahogany Fawn. Brindle is a Fawn dog with black striping. A “Flashy” boxer is one with a lot of white on muzzle, neck (collar) and socks. A “Plain or Classic” boxer is one with a full black mask, a little white on chest (not full collar) and typically will have white on toes only. Fawn and Brindle boxers can be “Plain” or “Flashy”.

You can also have what is known as a Reverse or Sealed Brindle, where the predominant color is black. In these cases, the dog is still genetically fawn, but the black brindling stripes are thicker, giving the darker coat.

White boxers are not rare! White boxers make up about 20-30% of all boxers born. Breeding two Flashy boxers together will almost always produce white offspring. Reputable breeders avoid this by breeding a Flashy and Plain boxer, and not pairing Flashy boxers when mating. 25-30% of white boxers will be deaf as well.

Stepping off soap box now. 🙂

6. Anna B

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Also one more note because I’m still venting at this….I have a 3 1/2 year old boxer. He NEVER barks unless something is on the other side of the door that he can’t see and in which case he has a small grunt. He doesn’t even bark back when another dog is showing aggression around him. I never cage my dog ever and sometimes I work long hours. Nothing in my home has ever been destroyed except when he was a small pup but that is to be expected. I have had my neighbors upstairs come down once or twice to let him out when I couldn’t get home from work or my other friend. He has never acted like “a guard dog” in fact he sits in his chair with his ears down at first a little afraid for a sec but then comes out of it and wants to play. This breed is one of the best there is out there in my opinion but you have all your facts wrong.

7. Laurie Lomillo's

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:06 am

I beg to differ!! All your facts are incorrect!! What is a Boxer an amazing family dog, will the bark absolutely will they attack an intruder NO, are they great with kids , yes , will they live to average age of 15 I could only wish! White boxers are as rare as white cars! Are their Boxers in need of homes that were tossed out Luke yesterday’s garbage you better believe it, are their hundreds of boxers euthanized because everyone loves a puppy till they eat your shoes , and they will. You need to do your homework before you send everyone who reads your article out to the pet shop to purchase the ” perfect dog “!

8. Maryann Watkins

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:39 am

Research on this article is faulty. The Boxer lifespan certainly isn’t 15 years and white Boxers aren’t rare at all.

• Andirriah

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:39 am

They have some good interesting facts bout boxers.