Which are the top dog breeds good with children? This list comes from a 2-part series from PuppyTraining.com. Part 1 shares their rating system used to determine their top 10 dog breeds good with children.
- Energy Level (excitability) – You don’t want a dog that is too excitable and knocks down your child.
- Size - Small dogs may be too fragile while a large breed of dog may not know it’s own strength/size and injure a child.
- Temperament - You don’t want your dog to be the dominant member of the family.
- Intelligence (trainability) - Highly trainable is ideal.
- Intangibles - Any special trait that either helps or hurts the dogs desirability.
Each dog will receive a subjective score between 1 and 10 in each category. The best overall score a dog can receive is a 50 and the lowest score is a 5.
Following this rating system, the following dogs were determined to be the best breeds with children.
- Golden Retriever
- Labrador Retriever
- Pembrooke Welsh Corgi
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Miniature Schnauzer
- Brittany Spaniel
- German Shepherd
Which have you found to be dog breeds good with children?