A Massachusetts family is heartbroken and desperate for answers after their beloved dog died suddenly and unexplainably during a routine rabies vaccination at a Petco store.
Jennifer DeLeon took her dog, Chi Chi, to a vaccination clinic at her local Leominster, Massachusetts Petco store for a routine rabies shot, as she’d done many times over the past 8 years.
DeLeon and a friend began shopping for a new collar for the dog while waiting for her vaccine to be complete when they heard a commotion coming from the clinic.
They rushed over to find Chi Chi laying on the floor, covered in blood.
“And they’re like, ‘we’re sorry, but your dog’s not going to make it,’” DeLeon told WCVB5.
It is unclear what happened to Chi Chi in those few moments that she was receiving her routine shot, but Petco released a statement saying, “The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take this situation very seriously. We’re conducting a thorough investigation to understand everything we can about Chi Chi’s untimely passing.”