Have you gotten tired of your dog barking too much? Guess what? You are not alone. Just follow the simple steps below and you will soon have a peaceful, quiet home.Techniques to Control the Dogs
One of the most basic tips that will help you is to research prior to buying the dog that you like. Some breeds are known to bark more than others. If you live in crowded dwelling areas such as an apartment or condo, breeds like Chihuahua, Beagle, and several kinds of terriers are definitely not advisable. Most dogs bark. As an owner, you should never expect for your pet to remain quiet at all times. As a matter of fact, even the quietest breeds tend to bark occasionally.
So what exactly do you have to do to keep your noisy pet from disturbing your family and others?
First, you have to lay down clear ground rules for your entire family. The key to dog training is consistency, so make sure that everybody in the household understands and follows the guidelines you have established. Some of the sample rules that will help make the training effective include the following:
1. Never feed the dog while it is barking. Wait patiently until he has been quiet for a while and does not seem to bark again before giving him a treat.
2. As much as possible, do not touch nor pet him when he barks. A lot of dogs bark to solicit attention. If they learn that barking behavior will provide them that attention, they will surely do it more often.
3. Find out when your dog is most likely to bark such as when it is left in a crate or confined in a room, when it sees people or other animals passing the house, or approaching the door, when owners come home, or when it wants to go outdoors.
4. Try your best to avoid these situations early on so you can help your pet to succeed in the training. For instance, when you reach home, greet your dog before he can even start to bark. If you see another animal coming, immediately get your pet’s attention and ask it to perform another command.
5. When your dog is barking, tell him to be quiet in a firm, sharp tone of voice. Use the same phrase or word each time. As soon as the dog quiets down, praise him instantly. Giving him a treat or letting him play with the toy will help the association stronger.
6. Finally, once your dog has been quiet for an extended period of time without barking, reward him for staying quiet. The key is to avoid exciting the pet.