Poison Information

Never Feed These To Your Dog

Do you know there are common items in your home your dog is going to find very tasty if he can get hold of them? Many dog owners don’t know about these potentially deadly foods, and we should never feed these to our dogs. Read on for a more complete look at what to never allow your pooch to eat or chew.

Never feed these

Wild mushrooms are a never feed these food due to some of these are very deadly to not only your dog but you as well. Unless you are very knowledgeable about which mushrooms you may find while out walking your dog in the forest, avoid them at all costs.

The anti-freeze we all have in our garages for our vehicles is another item your dog should never be allowed near. Recently new anti-freeze products have been introduced that are non-hazardous to animals but this need to be kept from your pet as well. The older formulas can be very tasty for a dog to drink and if consumed in large quantities your beloved pet is most likely going to die. At the very least he or she will develop liver, stomach, and other issues so never feed these products to any dog or animal.

Another problem most people are not aware of is grapes, and their first cousins raisins and currants. As described by the following from Wikipedia:

The consumption of grapes and raisins presents a potential health threat to dogs. Their toxicity to dogs can cause the animal to develop acute renal failure (the sudden development of kidney failure) with anuria (a lack of urine production)…. Clinical findings suggest raisin and grape ingestion can be fatal, but the “mechanism of toxicity” is still considered unknown.

Now for the big one many people are unaware of—chocolate. We all have chocolate in some form in our homes, and because this is a treat humans enjoy we assume our dogs will as well. Chocolate should never be fed to a dog even though they may sit and beg for a bite. It is one of the most deadly foods a dog can eat because of specific chemicals naturally found in chocolate. It should be noted a few breeds of dogs show no reaction to eating chocolate but why take a chance if you are uncertain.

For those who think chocolate cannot possibly be this harmful for their dog consider these facts. If you dog has consumed chocolate in a pure state, or as an additive to other foods, the first signs will begin to show up in four to six hours. Without immediate treatment by your vet the dog can suffer from seizures, cardiac failure, coma, and eventually he or she will die. Yes, chocolate is this harmful to canines so never feed these to any dog. If you have children explain to them why slipping Rover a tasty bite of chocolate is never allowed and why.

Have you ever fed your dog chocolate? Please leave comments and advice below.

7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Hans Amstel

    Dec 3, 2012 at 8:28 am

    In Australia we have Carob sweet buttons available as Doggy Chockies.

  2. Hans Amstel

    Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 am

    Avocados and Macadamia are also toxic to dogs

  3. Terri

    Dec 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

    There are two other DO NOT FEED items to add to the list: Onion and garlic, or foods that contain it.

    • shelley

      Jul 17, 2014 at 7:42 pm

      there are garlic products for dogs. garlic when shredded and exposed to the air for 5-10 minutes, in small amount, is not only safe, but also good for dogs….

  4. Sue Pickard

    Dec 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm

    It is the very high % content chocolate that is the most dangerous – probably the Reese peanut butter cups weren’t that strongly chocolate.

  5. Two Dogs

    Nov 30, 2012 at 11:34 am

    I usually bring candy into the office for treats. I got the two bags of miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and put them on the coach. When I was leaving in the morning, I forgot about them. In the evening, when I came home, the bags were opened and there was tin foil wrapping all around the house. The bags were empty. Amazingly enough, my two dogs were fine. No throwing up or anything.

    • SUE PERLMAN

      Dec 1, 2012 at 12:11 am

      My daughter left two POIUNDS of chocolate bars in the bottom of her closet and forgot to close the door. My Mini Dachshund ate all of the chocolate, and part of the wrappers. When I came home, she was lying on the floor. She raised hr head and looked at me and I immediately knew there was something wrong with her. If you can imagine a doggie who looked kinda GREEN about her snout……….and I knew what had happened. Just before my daughter left for school, I reminded her to close her closet door but she forgot. Our pooor cookie felt dreadful.. I coaxed her to drink lots of water, and put her on my lap and tried to soothe her as much as possible. After a bad round of diarrhea, I had her drink more water, soothed her and within about three hours she started to feel much better and was well by morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest dog news, recall alerts, and giveaways!

You have Successfully Subscribed!