Front Page News

Recall Alert: Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Dog Treats

In the wake of massive Chinese chicken jerky dog treat voluntary recalls by Purina (for Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brands) and Del Monte (for Milo’s Kitchen) due to the discovery of 4 antibiotic residues known to be illegal in the United States, as hoped, other brands of chicken jerky dog treats imported from China are following suit and voluntary recalling their brands as well.

The next manufacturer of chicken jerky dog treats joining the nationwide product recall is IMS Trading Corp, makers of the Cadet brand of dog treats.

From the IMS Trading Corp website,

IMS Trading Corp today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing its Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Treat products sold in the United States until further notice.

The Company is taking this action after learning this week that the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets (NYSDAM) found trace amounts of antibiotic residue in samples of Cadet brand Chicken Jerky Treat products. These antibiotics are approved for use in poultry in China and other major countries, including European Union member states, but are not among those approved in the U.S.  Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Treat products are safe to feed as directed and have not been linked to ANY illnesses in dogs or humans. However, due to regulatory inconsistencies among countries, the presence of antibiotic residue is technically considered an adulteration in the United States.

At first, New York State authorities requested that IMS Trading Corp remove Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky treats from retail locations only in the state of New York.  We have decided to expand this and conduct a voluntary withdrawal of these chicken treat products nationwide.

A double testing program is being established to check for these antibiotics in China (point of origin) and the United States before we consider to sell these products in the future.  Testing will be based on a scientifically sound statistical sampling program.

There is no indication that the trace amounts of antibiotic residue are linked to the FDA’s ongoing investigation of chicken jerky products. The trace amounts of antibiotic residue (in the parts-per-billion range) do not pose a health or pet safety risk.

While the manufacturers involved in the nationwide recall of Chinese imported chicken jerky dog treats maintain that the antibiotics found in their products are not responsible for the thousands of dog illnesses reported over the past 6 years, more complete testing and evidence to that fact is warranted. The truth is, chicken jerky imported from China is responsible for the deaths of nearly 400 dogs and the illness of thousands more, with these antibiotic residues being the ONLY contamination discovered to date that isn’t also present in American-made treats that do NOT make our dogs sick.

Additionally, it remains to be discovered how extensively the chicken used to make these treats expands into other dog food production. The only way to ensure the safety and well-being of your pets is to stop feeding them foods and treats that are manufactured, sourced, or processed in China.

The melamine dog food scare in 2007, along with the Chinese government’s refusal to work with the FDA and investigators to locate the source of contamination in these treats further strengthens our position that when it comes to the health and safety of our pets, the Chinese are more concerned with their bottom line.

1. VIRGINIA

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:57 am

I HAVE A JUG. CROSS W PUG AND JACK RUSSELL HE’LL BE 13 YEARS NEXT WEEK. WE’VE BEEN FEEDING HIM CHICKEN (UNTIL THEY TOOK OFF MARKET) AND DUCK EVERY DAY. HE’S JUST FINE. I DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY DID TO THE CHICKEN, BUT THEY THEY PUT IT BACK ON THE MARKET HE WON’T EAT IT????? JUST THE DUCK:)

2. Cami Davis

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:23 pm

All I have to say about this problem is I HOPE EVERYONE IS READING THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE AMOUNT TO FEED THIER ANIMALS. Don’t let your incompetence effect others. Some treats can work good for one dog and bad for another. My dog has been eating Cadets Duck Jerky for years because of his special diet and its the only ones he can eat. So don’t be so quick to judge. Everyone has an opinion.

3. Roger Price

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:22 pm

We have feeding Cadet Duck Breast from Costco for months (maybe 6 or so) and had no ill effects. Both dogs absolutely love them, but after reading some of the comments on your website we will stop giving the duck breasts and consider ourselves very lucky they didn’t get sick. Just thought you would like to know.
    Roger

• Diane

May 27, 2014 at 1:12 am

I have worked for Costco for 23 yrs. Cadet duck jerky has been a staple
      in my home for at least 10 of those yrs. I have NEVER had a problem with
      this product. I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to purchase it for THE SAME PRICE
      if it was made here or Tasmania if case be…… I have a pug who is allergic
      to all domestic protein. I NEED to have duck and not chicken. I personally
      believe people are blowing this China issue WAY out of proportion and has
      in fact impacted the availability of this product now. I am having to buy
      on line for twice the price not including shipping……because of all the
      “scare”. I believe these were isolated cases and not an intention of harm.
      Look at the majority of products YOU HAVE NOW !!! “MADE IN CHINA”…
      blame your government for that. I would love to see more products from here.
      There is just too much red tape…and no provider. Case in point…..

• Curtis

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm

My chi’s will not eat anything but cadet duck. I have tried everything and the chi’s refuse chicken, lamb, beef(everything). I have fed our children duck for 3yrs now without problems. Have had problems buying this product so when it came available again, I bought 50# in 2 and 2.5# bags. I just wonder if there is anything in it that makes my chi’s love it. Right now there is a supply here and at Costco. Go figure

• Jan Carmichael

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:19 am

I quite feeding my jack russell the cadet duck treats from costco after accidentally running across article about them causing illness and death in dogs…now 6 months later my dog has kidney disease ….i feel so sick that i gave him the very thing that caused this disease that he will die from. And more so that costco sold it long after these reports came out.

4. All Tears

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:32 am

My beloved dog died on 2/24/2014 of kidney failure after eating Cadet Duck Breast Jerky for month. Tears wash my face day and night. The people who put the treats on the market are killers.
    I realy want to know what can we do here, can we all stand up as a union to report them not only for remove the treats from the market but compesation for our loss and grief?

• Suzie Smitham

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I bought Cadet Duck Breast in Dec. Of 2013 from a pet store in Fort Gratiot Mich. I live in Canada. After 1 treat each for my 12 month old Boxer and 2 Cockers 11 and 7.All dogs got vomiting, diarrhea and bloody stools. I thought this weird so I waited a few days and gave 1 each to 2 of the dogs. Same thing vomiting, diarrhea ,and bloody stools . I called the company and they said no one has called and there is no recalls. Well I will return the product and get my money back and have them test this product. Clearly there is something wrong with this product . DON’T BUY THIS PRODUCT EVER.I don’t want my healthy dogs to die from this product . This has never happened to me before and then I see made in China.
      Suzie

5. This is criminal!

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:03 am

My mom just had to put down her 7 year old terrier yesterday who was fed 2-3 Costco Duck Jerky Treats per day. A short time after she started feeding him the treats, he started gaining weight and then all of a sudden seemed to balloon out on either side of his body, looking like a pregnant goat, and his skin was so stretched out and very very hard. He was showing most of the classic signs of what we have just read on the FDA warnings on chicken jerky for dogs – “decreased appetite; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; increased water consumption…” My mom took him to the vet and they did a bunch of blood tests and they said it looked like kidney and/or liver failure, possibly cancer. He got to the point where he couldn’t lay down, couldn’t get comfortable, couldn’t walk, had a hard time breathing. He was suffering so much she couldn’t take it any more. We didn’t realize what we believe it was until I was packing up all his stuff today for our family’s pets to use – bed, food, water bowl, then I picked up the treats and happened to read “TREATED BY IRRADIATION” … “Not For Human Consumption” and “Wash hands with soap and water after handling any dog treat.” WHY should WE need to wash our hands after just touching it when it is supposedly perfectly SAFE for our beloved pets to EAT???