About Breeds

The Lovable Shih-Tzu

Many people worldwide consider the loveable Shih-Tzu breed to be the best small dog to own. A very strong case can be made for this statement because of all the great qualities this breed exhibits. Let’s take a deeper look into why so many dog owners feel this way concerning the Shih-Tzu.

The Shih-Tzu breed hails from China. While it is uncertain, the common consensus among those who trace the origins of dog breeds, believe the Shih-Tzu originated in Tibet. From this isolated nation the breed began showing up in the Chinese city of Peking. Because of the breeds elegant appearance and regal bearing the Shih-Tzu soon became the preferred dog of the Chinese Imperial family and rulers. Because this dog breed was so secretly guarded by Chinese royalty, nations in the western part of the world only began learning of the breed in the early 1930’s. Since this time the breed has grown in demand and popularity worldwide.

Officially included in 1946 by the British AKC, and 1969 by the American AKC in the Toy Group, this breed makes the perfect pet for those who live in small homes and apartments. The breed grows to a height of about eleven inches tall and weighs between nine and fifteen pounds.

Continued on page 2…

Prev1 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

1. Kel

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I have a 3 yr old Male, his name is Bear… Thats what this guy is, he is loyal protecting and fun. This guy rides on a scooter with me everyday, i can take him into any situation and he will trust. hHe loves any of my friends because of the way i greet them, if my voice is in distress look out he would take on a Bear, and win.. Love u Bud.

2. Marta Zobeniak

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:46 pm

My Shih-tzu Tina is a one year old. She’s clever (at only up to 5-6 months she learned cues such as: sit / stay / lay down / wait / come / sit pretty / roll over / high five / paw / speak). In spite of her stubborn streak, it takes only a couple of minutes to teach her new tricks. She’s a true joy to play and cuddle with. Friendly and personable, she would greet almost every stranger (kids especially) and dog during our walks. Keeps her distance from bulldogs and yappy yorkies. A true-blue companion.

3. sean

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:14 am

I am not a dog person. Wait… I WAS not a dog person. My wife and daughter called me to see Frankie, who they wanted to buy via Petsmart but probably from a puppy mill. I thought, barking, peeing, chewing… what are we getting into? I had imagined this breed as a yapping annoyance. Well…

I saw this little guy, and he literally hugged me and tried to lick my face. He was just a bundle of happy goodness. I couldn’t resist the urgings and relented. He was our problem now.

Not so. Now, he is a fluffy, integral part of the family. He did require consistent discipline. He had many accidents with the pee pad and with poo but these have tapered off after a year and can be pretty much avoided if he gets regular walks. He only barks when you are playing with him and rarely, if he hears something out of context. Not consistent, just an alert bark. And he does not chew things since we let him know early on this was bad.

But he is so much fun! Active, energetic, alert, docile, playful, super fast, and loving. He loves fetch and tug of war, to the point of addiction. He meets all newcomers enthusiastically, with a waggy tail. He has so many expressions with the eyes, ears, tilted head… and he goes everywhere with us. He has to be in the drivers seat though. He is a lap dog, loves to be picked up, and follows you everywhere because he has to know what’s going ON! And yes, I love Frankie, and yes, I am now a dog person.

4. BjRuffin

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Forgot to mention Maddy is potty trained and will only use it on newspaper, which is put where she can see it. I must admit she is very spoiled!
    Thanks again, Bj

5. BjRuffin

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm

My little Madison is two and will be three on February 24. I love her so much. She requires lots of love and attention. I am in a situation where I have to work two jobs. Therefore, I can’t be with Maddy as required. Anyone interested in loving my little Maddy by giving her a good home and attention email me. My email address is [email protected].

Thank you!

6. Carol Rommel

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:18 pm

We have 2 great Shih Tzu. Both are girls, Emily and Chrissy. They were both adopted through rescue and both were in a puppy mill. We lost our Golden Retriever at age 14 1/2 and had her as a pup. Since we are getting older we thought smaller dog would be more appropriate for us. Chrissy must have been very abused and she is afraid of everyone except me. It took her 2 years before going to my husband but now gives him kisses before bed every night. Emily is the protector and barks at everyone that goes buy and all the other dogs, cats, deer in the yard. The only problem we have with both the girls is the peeing in the house, if I put them in a crate all day they are fine and can’t wait to get out when we come home from work. I hate to put them in a crate because they were stuck in one most of their lives. I have tried puppy pads and they just chew them up. They are the most loving little things but I need a little advise on the training. We both work all day 5 days a week. I love having 2 little critters running around as they keep each other company and they truly love each other. And, they don’t shed very much at all.

7. Dee Cummins

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I came across this site from a post on FB. I cried as I read these. Right now I have my second Shih Tzu lying next to me. I lost my first in August of 2003 and her brother, a chocolate American Cocker in November of 2003. He was a wonderful companion.

I was so grief stricken, getting another dog was the last thing on my mind. God told me to check I found a group of 4 sisters, who were only on the site for a few hours. I had missed the time line, but submitted anyway. The woman who did the rescue called me to tell me I was too late, but wanted to interview me. I didn’t have a fenced in yard, so that kicked me to the curb right away. I got a call on December 14th to tell me that after interviewing me, she knew she had a perfect match for both of us. She said to come pick her up on the 20th of December.
    When I got there, 2 puppies had already met their owners. I asked where mine was and she pointed to the kennel, where clear in the back was a little one hiding. I said I didn’t want her, I wanted one of the others. The rescuer said that I did want this one, that Avery and I were perfect for each other. It was notlove at first sight but she and my friends said to give it a few days. On the 3.5 hour ride home, she crawled up on my shoulders, snuggled into the back of my neck and peed on me! That really made me fearful. By the time we ended our trip, I was head over heels with her. She is the love of my life. She was named Avery, like an aviator,
    Because she was the first and bravest to explore anything. She has been with me through the passings of my sister and father, many trying times. I regired in Auvust and realized, I would of nevermade it without her. Like everyone’s, she does what she wants on her own time, when I come home she greets me at the door thrilled to see me, loves to lay in the sun, just to be outside, go bye-bye perks her ears and cocks her head. Everyone loves her, she knows no strangers. And guess what? We are a perfect match. We are both the oldest of 4 girls, she has lost a sister, I am bullheaded, I love to e outside, tanning my belly. I love to go for rides, and I am just as happy to see her. She gets kisses and hugs every day. Her name? It is Abby Jo, short for Abigial Grace…translated into “a father’s love”. God knew!

8. Rita Potenza

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm

IWe love our Shih Tzu. Our 2 passed away last year one in Aug. and thee other in Nov. Mia chew, and Chew Bear they had many babies love them so much but we can’t seem to find any other . We live in N. Mexico .Northern New Mexico have girls in Albuquerque. If any one has 1 or 2 one to 5 please contact us .575-377-3658 getting desperate. I read all your stories and very jealious.
    Thank you so much.

9. Bill Trewyn

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:11 pm

My wife and I have a five year old Shih Tzu “Sally”. She is a real sweetheart, the word stranger does not fit in her vocabulary. If someone new happens to walk by, she runs to them as if to say “Hi, I’m Sally, I’m in town for a while so come on over. We also have a male cat that Sally raised from a kitten. She is truly amazing, and I would definitely recommend the breed. But you can’t have Sally.

10. Cindy

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:52 am

I have my third shih Tzu, Bentley Bear. He is a delight. Wouldn’t have any other breed!!!