Dogs & Laws

Traveler Abandons 2 Dogs at LA Airport When She Couldn’t Pay for Transport

Sorullo, a 6-year old miniature Poodle, was abandoned at LAX. Photo courtesy CBSLA.

A pair of miniature black Poodles were abandoned at LAX when their owner, a woman retiring overseas, could not afford the fees to bring them along.

Originally intending to bring the pair along as carry-on luggage, the woman’s carrier was not regulation size. Her options were to leave the airport and purchase an airline approved carrier or to check the dogs as cargo. Instead, she chose to abandon the dogs, leaving the country without them.

Airlines typically charge between $175 and $250 per animal, a price most of us would happily pay if it meant keeping our pets by our side.

So, 6-year old Sorullo and 3-year old Tulip were taken to the West LA Animal Shelter where they examined and put up for adoption.

Tulip was adopted right away, Sorullo is still looking for a forever family – preferably one that doesn’t plan on retiring overseas any time soon.

CBSLA reported:

1. Jasmine tokuda

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:34 pm

When I flew to Hawaii to attend College in the 1970’s, No one told me that I needed a veterinary health certificate for my parrot when I booked my flight. They wouldn’t let me board with my bird. I called a friend who came out to the airport to get him, and he ended up keeping my bird. She could have at least called a friend to get the dogs. There is no excuse…..

2. t.becker

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:13 am

SO, have any of you adopted Tulip? Has ANYONE adopted Tulip?

3. margaret landrum

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I thought animal cruelty was a felon,how in the hell did they let her get on the plane.They should make her come back and face animal cruelty charges,

4. G. Smith

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I think the headline need to be corrected…. “When she WOULDN’T pay”. Don’t make it sound like she had no choice. The BITCH!

• Terri

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I totally agree with you!! It’s not that she couldn’t, she chose NOT TO!!

5. Sue

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:41 am

Pet carriers are usually clearly marked saying that they are airline approved.
    They must be able to fit under the seat in front of you to be taken on the plane.
    They are not very large and unlikely would hold two dogs unless the dogs were very tiny.
    This leaves the option of transporting pets in regulation crates, which must be large enough for your pet to stand and turn around in. These crates are treated as cargo and travel in a hold. The cost depends on the size of the crate and the destination. There are some great companies out there that specialize in this field, but it is costly.

Our family has lived overseas on multiple occasions and we have always taken our pets with us.

Perhaps approved carriers could be sold in one of the many stores located within airports – just a thought!

Both dogs in this story are now adopted and in loving homes 🙂

6. Terry J. Henry

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:36 am

I hope the old bitch dies broke and alone

• steph

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm

she is a bitch, i could never leave my family behind like that, especially having them for while, but ya know even if i just got them that day i could never leave them, i love my family