Celebrity Pets

U.S. Olympic Freeskier to Adopt 5 Sochi Strays

For U.S. Olympic freeskier, Gus  Kenworthy, winning the silver medal in men’s slopestyle skiing yesterday wasn’t the only exciting thing to happen in Sochi!

When the avid animal lover got word of a mother dog and her litter of puppies living underneath a security tent outside the main entrance of the media center in Rosa Khutor village in Sochi, Kenworthy hopped on the next available gondola to go check them out – and immediately fell in love!

Now, Kenworthy is doing everything possible to get the mother and her pups back home to the states.

“For the people wondering, I’ve lined up kennels 4 the pups & made vaccination appointments. Doing all I can to bring them home w/ me!” he Tweeted.

He further explained that getting the puppies back home – where he’s already got adopters lined up for 3 of them and plans to keep the 4th – shouldn’t be a problem, but getting their mother to the states is a bigger challenge as their are more restrictions on adult dogs.

A dog lover his entire life, Kenworthy lost his own dog, Mack, a mixed-breed he adopted from the Colorado Humane Society, last year.

He told USA Today, “I’ve been a dog lover my whole life and to find just the cutest family of strays ever, here at the Olympics, was just a fairy tale way to have that go down.”

1. Tracey

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Love you Gus!!! You are the best!!!

2. Margit WAcha

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:34 am

Danke für Ihr Gutes Herz!
    Hoffentlich kann die Hundemutter mit denKleinen
    ausreisen…Sie wären für viele ein Beispiel!
    Danke

3. Kevin hunt

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:16 am

Your sir are a true son of the states. Bravo! No medal no matter what kind could have made me more proud of our athletes in Sochi. I’ve been watching the games 40 years with my father as a child and with my sons now. 3 dogs here in Laurinburg NC barking “USA USA! We love you.

4. Sharon D. Anderson

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:21 am

Gus..uve made my heart fill with joy! I only hope there will be many more peopke who will follow ur footsteps. As u may already know Sochi has been on a killing these dogs & have alreay killed 7000 stray dogs not even giving them a chance. I hope & pray that you may have started something to bring awareness to these dogs plight. God bless you…& congradulations on winning a silver medal…
    Thanks Again, Sharon Anderson
    New Castle, DE

5. David Slater

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:56 am

Gus, You are truly GOLD. to me. You are truly a wonderful person. You give an old man a reason to believe their are still such wonderful people like you. The dogs thank you.

6. Anita Korbelik

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:15 am

Thank goodness there are still people out there like you. God Bless you all!

7. Mary Ann Sticka

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Made a donation to help you though Emerald city pet rescue to help you get the mom and puppies back to the US with you. Thanks for saving them!!! Your the best!!! And congratulation on your silver metal Too!!!