“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Many dogs love to swim and many dog lovers have swimming pools, which brings us to the topic of dogs in swimming pools. Should you let your dog swim in the pool? The Sacramento Examiner gives us the pros and cons of dogs in swimming pools.
- The dog gets plenty of exercise and gets to cool down at the same time.
- Fun! If your dogs want to swim in the pool they will have fun doing it and you will have fun watching them!
- Pool filtration systems are much better than they were 20 years ago so the pet hair in the filter of the pool is not usually the problem it used to be.
- This is a dangerous sport if you or children are swimming with the dog in the pool. The dog has sharp claws extending from the paws and might accidentally scratch fellow swimmers so beware of the claws in the pool.
- Dogs that swim are very susceptible to ear infections, be prepared and talk to your veterinarian before your dog has an infection.
- Some dogs do not like the water at all. These dogs do not like taking a bath and chose to walk around puddles. You know who they are! You wouldn’t like being thrown into a pool of water if you were afraid of it so please don’t throw your dog in.
If you choose to allow dogs in swimming pools, read here for safety tips. Does your dog swim in the pool?