“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
A North Carolina family is devastated, heartbroken after their dog was mistakenly euthanized at the Henderson County Animal shelter following the Christmas holiday.
“We’ve got all this construction going on, and she got out on Thursday right before Christmas,” Jake Jarvis explained to KTRK. The family’s Boxer-mix, Indy, was found about 1/8th of a mile from home and picked up by Henderson County Animal Control. Because Indy was microchipped, animal control contacted Jarvis who was told the dog would have to spend the holidays in the shelter.
“The animal control officer from Henderson County Sheriff told me that I couldn’t pick up until Tuesday when they reopened,” Jarvis recalls. “He assured me she was fine and told me there was no way I could get her before Christmas.”
Jarvis assured the shelter that he would be picking Indy up.
On Tuesday, Jarvis was held up at work and unable to get to the shelter before they closed. By Wednesday morning, Indy was dead. Following a mandatory 72-hour hold, shelter workers euthanized the Jarvis’ beloved dog.
“We buried her yesterday,” Jarvis said, standing at his dog Indy’s grave next to his 9-year old daughter Kaylee. “We have a newborn who’s nine months old, and that was her first word was Indy.”
Although it’s too late for Indy, her death prompted County Manager Steve Wyatt to take measures to prevent such a mistake in the future. “I’ve issued an order that we will make a second opportunity,” Wyatt said. “Do everything we can to notify the owner, but, eventually, if that owner does not come forward, we have capacity issues. I’m not trying to be cold, we try to be very compassionate.”