Home Remedies

Benefits of Coconut Oil For Dogs

There are many benefits of coconut oil for dogs being discovered for dogs, even though it was not recommended in the past. The coconut, also known as the “tree of life”, has been found to have many benefits not only for humans, but for our best friends as well.

There are many products and furniture made from coconut lumber and leaves. Many foods and desserts have at least a bit of coconut milk in them. But the most popular use of the coconut, in the field of health and medicine, is the coconut’s oil, which has been found to cure or alleviate many diseases.

Benefits of Coconut Oil For Dogs

Many diseases and ailments, like yeast infections, smelly coats, hot spots, cuts that have been infected, and even cracked paws, can all be cured with just a jar of “virgin coconut oil.” When all forms of diet remedies have failed, then it is time to try out this miracle natural medicine for your dog. Virgin coconut oil means that it is unrefined, and it can be used for both dogs and humans. Lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid, can help prevent bacterial and viral infections. This is most commonly found in a mother’s milk and builds the immune system. Fortunately, dogs can benefit from the same kind of protection and health advantages it gives throughout their lives.

There are many other benefits of coconut oil for dogs, all good reasons why you should give your dog some virgin coconut oil. First, it can potentially reduce cancer risks. It also improves the digestion of your dog and becomes medicine for most digestive upsets. The thyroid function is also kept normal with coconut oil. It can give your dog a smooth glossy coat, as well as healthy, supple skin. Yeast and fungal infections are also treated and prevented through the use of coconut oil. Arthritis and similar pains can also be minimized or treated. Coconut can also balance your dog’s metabolism rate to keep his weight under control.

Another area in which amazing results have been attained is in prevention of parasitic infestations, and apparently curing the problem in many instances. As described in an article on the HealingNaturallyByBee.com website:

Coconut oil may provide an effective defense against many troublesome parasites including giardia. Like bacteria and fungi, giardia can’t stand up against MCFA found in coconut oil.

Research has confirmed the effectiveness of MCFA in destroying giardia and possibly other protozoa.5,6,7 By using coconut oil and other coconut products every day, you may be able to destroy giardia before it can establish a toehold.

It can be given internally or applied externally, and can provide remedies for many skin infections. It can disinfect cuts and improve your dog’s general skin and coat condition, making it healthier. Wounds also heal faster with coconut oil, and it helps to deodorize your dog’s skin and clear up some rashes as well.

And unlike most herbal products that are good for your dog’s health, coconut is something that your dog will most probably love to eat. They will most likely gobble up the coconut oil and not be too picky with it. Just as humans can get a bit nutty for coconut, so can our beloved buddies. Mix it with their food – it has cured many picky eaters.

Many vets and researchers today are recommending the regular use of coconut oil for dogs and many other pets as an excellent source of nutrients, which keeps your dog in good health.

The recommended dose is pretty easy; just give a teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of dog, or you can give a table spoon per 30 pounds. Start with about 1/4 the recommended dosage and build up to the recommended level over 3-4 weeks, as sometimes flu-like symptoms can appear if you hurried it right away.

More benefits of coconut oil for dogs are being constantly discovered. Get some for your fur baby’s health and well-being.

Have you already started using coconut oil for your dog? Feel free to share this article with others below.

1. Beverly Clark

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Would like to hear from anyone who has used coconut oil for your dogs breath problem and did it work ?

• Leslie

May 12, 2016 at 3:18 am

YES! My oldest dachshund has always had a bit of funky breath, but as he got older it got so much worse. About a month ago I started giving all my dogs about a teaspoon of coconut oil as a bedtime treat. My youngest’s dachshunds fur is incredibly shiny and even the vet complimented her about it. My middle pup never had many problems, but her coat is more shiny now. So on to the one I have constant problems with, my oldest. His breath is worlds better than it was a month ago. And when I say this, it had gotten so bad I wouldn’t let him near my face. Now I am happy to let him lick my face again.

2. Barbara

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:15 pm

What is the difference between coconut milk, coconut water? I used the coconut oil on my show beagle. I have one over weight dog , how much and when do I give her the coconut oil?

• Stephen

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Hi Barbara.

Coconut milk is extracted from coconut milk. Coconut water is what you get as soon as you open one.

3. Michele

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Do you use the liquid form or coconut oil in a jar? And does it have to be organic?

• Monica

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:09 am

All coconut oil is organic. Coconuts are naturally organic. Don’t be fooled by the label and pay more.

4. Ela2926

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I have a Great Dane who weighs around 140-150#’s. Out of nowhere about a week and a half ago she came down with a horrible case of hives. She is now started losing hair and looks horrible. I’ve tried Benadryl which did not work at all, so I’m going to start her on coconut oil tonight and see if that helps. I am going to start her at 1 tbsp 2x a day and then work up from there…….Fingers crossed!

• Babslynne

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:03 pm

My dog did that also, its Hypothyroid.

• Holy Shitzu Batman

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Hey my Female 12 lb Shitzu had the same case. Did you get to try the coconut oil and what was the result?

5. Karen Mitchell

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:20 am

I’m not a vet. To cut a long story short, I’ve now researched pet nutrition for almost 6 years and been feeding our girls raw since they were 8 weeks old, the eldest is now 6 years young.
    I run a Facebook group “As Nature Intended”. This group is an advocate of 100% natural raw diet for pets. I invite holistic vets, researchers, trainers, breeders, whisperers, nutritionists and of course carers from all over the world. If you are looking for advice, considering on making the transition, or looking for guidance, hints and tips on how to make the transition or when and what to feed. Wish to learn the benefits of alternative medicine, raw feeding and much more?
    Then this informative group is there for you, 24/7

6. Sindi

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I have also found it is useful for dog tartar build up & that pesky bad breath. Please keep in mind it is not a cure all for tartar build up, your dog should have still have dental’s by your Veterinarian.

7. teresa norris