Dogs & Laws

Class Action Lawsuit Says Blue Buffalo Dog Food Contaminated with Lead

A proposed class action lawsuit filed in California against Blue Buffalo Pet Products, Inc. alleges that the dog food manufacturer knowingly makes, markets, and sells dog food contaminated with material and significant levels of lead.

blue buffalo

The 24-page lawsuit was filed after the plaintiff claimed his dog, a 4-year old Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix, experienced kidney disease and ultimately kidney failure as a result of ingesting the Blue Buffalo dog food products as his primary source of food.

The class action suit seeks to cover consumers in the United States who purchased any of the following dog food for household use (not for resale) between July 1, 2013 and the present:

• Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe for Small Breed Adult Dogs
  • Blue Freedom Grain-Free Chicken Recipe for Small Breed Adult Dogs
  • Blue Basics Grain-Free Turkey & Potato Recipe for Adult Dogs

Note that each of the above products are sold by Blue Buffalo Pet Foods, Inc. along with claims that they contain “LifeSource Bits,” described on packaging and in advertising as a “precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals” selected by veterinarians and animal nutrition experts.

The suit alleges Blue Buffalo has knowingly advertised and sold dog food contaminated with lead without providing proper warning to consumers. It also asserts that Blue Buffalo Pet Products’ claims, that the contaminated food contains blends of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals is likely to deceive the public into believing the dog food is healthy and “holistic.”

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” the case states, “as the contaminated foods’ inclusion of an unsafe amount of lead creates a health hazard for dogs.”

Extended exposure to lead has been linked to chronic lead poisoning, cancers, developmental and reproductive disorders, and nervous system dysfunction.

Blue Buffalo will not comment on the pending litigation, but confirmed that they DO NOT test their pet food products for lead content.

At this time, the proposed lawsuit is only that – a proposed suit. At this time there is no publicly available evidence to support the lead contamination claims.

1. Josh

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm

We just found out last night that our cat has kidney failure. The vet gives her a week. She is only 9 years old. We have 3 other animals that have been fed Blue Buffalo for years and we are fearful that they could be sick soon as well. We stopped feeding them Blue Buffalo about a month ago after seeing claims such as these, but it was too late for our girl. Don’t let this company take your loved ones. Stop supporting them.

2. Lianne Johnson

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:57 pm

I have been feeding my 2 Pomeranians Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe for Small Breed Adult Dogs for over 5 years and my older dog had xrays at the vet (for a problem with his leg) and they found 7 stones in his bladder and he had to have emergency surgery. I am now curious as to if this was due to this Blue Wilderness food! Breaks my heart to think that I try to find the best food for my furbabies and end up giving them something that does more harm than good! 🙁

3. Dawn fleischer

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I've been using blue buffollo 4 2 years now I wanted my dog 2 put litte weight on but……still hasn't happened.

4. Lorrie McCarty

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:39 pm

My boy has been on blue buffalo basic for adults since he was brought home then this last November started having seizures for no known reason nothing in the family. And we had an MRI done on hom and a spinal tap everything normal well he is gone now because his last seizure last 16 minutes and agter he couldnt hear us or see us. He was my best friend my partner in crime and my service dog. If this is true SHAME ON YOU. I thought it was my fault but you guys did this i killed my dog because of you people. I will never buy anything from you again amd I will shout it from the top of anywhere to not buy any of your products

5. Matt

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:28 pm

This seriously concerns me, I have been feeding Blue Wilderness for almost 4yrs now, none of the chicken recipes, however i am presently at a loss as to whether i should continue feeding it, and if not, what to switch to????

6. eric