Could Your Yard Kill Your Dog? Most Common Dangerous Plants for Dogs

TOTAL SHARES 3.7K
Beautiful, but lethal. The Oleander can lead to hypothermia, gastrointestinal irritation, heart problems, and even death.

There are more than 700 plant species which have been discovered to be especially toxic to pets. That huge number almost seems incomprehensible, making you wonder if there are actually any plants left that are not deadly to animals. Although the list below can’t possibly cover every single harmful houseplant in existence, always use your best judgment whenever determining whether or not a particular plant should remain in your garden.

What You Need to Watch Out For

1. Marijuana. Dogs who try to snack on this herb can undergo grave consequences like drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, in-coordination, seizure, and even worse, coma.

2. Tulips. The actual bulb portion of this plant is particularly toxic. It can result in drooling, gastrointestinal irritation, central nervous system depression, cardiac complications and convulsions.

3. Sago Palm. The whole plant of sago palm is poisonous to animals, and its seeds and nuts are the most deadly. Dogs that ingest parts of this plant can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, depression, and seizures.

4. Oleander. All parts of this plant are toxic, too. Ingestion of oleanders can result in hypothermia, gastrointestinal irritation, heart problems, and even death.

5. Azalea. The toxins of this plant can lead to severe consequences. Dogs that attempt to eat azalea may drool, suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression and weakening, and worse, coma or death.

6. Cyclamen. The root is the most toxic portion of this plant. Ingestion of cyclamen can lead to vomiting, gastrointestinal irritation, and even death.

7. Castor Bean. This plant, on the other hand, is dangerous in a way that when a pooch ingests it, he can experience drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness, dehydration, twitching muscles, tremors, seizures, coma, and worse, death.

8. Yew. This plant has been found out to be toxic, since intake of yews can result to incoordination, nervous system problems, breathing difficulties, and trembling. It can also trigger cardiac failure, gastrointestinal irritation, and even death.

9. Kalanchoe. If your pooch eats this plant, he might suffer from gastrointestinal complications and cardiac rate issues.

10. Amaryllis. This plant contains toxins that can cause depression, diarrhea, vomiting, hypersalivation, abdominal pain, and tremors.

Aside from these, plants like the Autumn crocus, English ivy, chrysanthemum, peace lily, schefflera, and pothos are also among the most common poisonous plants that you need to look out for. You never want to knowingly put your dog’s health and life in jeopardy so always pay attention as to what plants are accessible to pets around your house.

For a more comprehensive list of plants toxic to dogs, click here.

TOTAL SHARES 3.7K

17 COMMENTS

  1. Watch out for mulch too! I believe it’s only in red mulch but I’d still be very careful, they never list it on bags but it’s processed with arsenic!

  2. does anyone know about the toxicity of tiger lily?????orange flowers, grow from rhizomes underground……they grow wild all over here…i have noticed a patch shrinking near where my dogs chain reaches…. it seems sometimes after be outside sometimes he comes in lethargic,loss of appetite…just until the next day-( i am assuming after he poops-whatever ails him is out of his system and he begins feeling better-more alert and playful and regaining his appetite.)

    • Your dog is on a CHAIN?!?!?! And youre worried about it eating a poisonous plant? Youre killing it on a chain!! A dog is a member of one’s family..Geez..sure hope you dont fight him too

  3. Most dogs also like to eat grass as well and you never know what chemicals someone is using if they do it while out on a walk. We put a few baby spinach leaves in our dogs food once a day and I haven’t seen them eating grass or any other plant matter since.

  4. Oleander can be tempting to cows and others who are hungry…feed your animals ON TIME every day. Oleander is deadly, not just pukey.
    I have 7 border collies!! (don’t ask how this came about) They are peaceful and happier with 2 small meals a day. I leave a large patch of Johnson grass unmowed
    for them to snack on, which they love. Also a large patch of unmowed clover behind a garden in front yard for bees! Dogs need this, more and more as GMO grains have so little minerals.

  5. Snowberry almost killed our dog. I ran him to the emergency clinic 20 miles away and $400 later and many days of meds he is now okay. We are still trying to dig the bushes out of the yard. They grow by roots and if you don’t get all the root it is like mint. Roots are deep and you have to dig, dig, dig to get rid of it.

  6. Watch out for toads too! Eating them can cause seizures in dogs!
    Happened to mine. Had one every hour on the hour for 36 hours and then they just stopped. Realized he had eaten a toad.

LEAVE A REPLY