Isaboo celebrates her 9th Birthday with mom Rachael Ray’s special recipe Doggy Cake! Photo courtesy of Rachael Ray.
When chef-lebrity Rachael Ray’s pets have a birthday, you can guarantee the dog-loving chef will go out of her way to create something scrumptious. So, when her pit bull, Isaboo turned 9 years old, Rachael went above and beyond with this healthy, easy, and best of all, delicious Bacon and Beef Doggy Cake with cream cheese frosting!
The star Tweeted a photo of Izzy sniffing her savory treat with the caption, “Paws down, best cake ever!”
*Editor’s tip: to make this recipe even healthier, substitute low sodium turkey bacon, and replace the pork with ground turkey or chicken and adjust cooking time accordingly.
Looking to create Rachael Ray’s special recipe for your own pup’s special day? Here’s the easy recipe, courtesy of PeoplePets.
• 5 slices bacon
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 pound ground pork
• 1 cup cooked barley
• 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
• ½ cup chopped parsley
• 1 egg
For the frosting:
• 1 slice of roasted beet – from salad bar, or roasted yourself**
• Splash of water
• 8 ounces cream cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Place bacon onto a baking pan and cook for 12 minutes or until crispy. Remove and allow bacon to cool; once cool, crumble into tiny pieces.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients with half of the crumbled bacon. Form into a heart-shaped meat loaf and bake for 45 minutes.
4. For the frosting, combine the beet and water in a food processor and purée; add the cream cheese and process until mixture is pink and smooth.
5. Place frosting into a piping bag to personalize your message. Sprinkle the remaining bacon crumbles on top as you would sprinkles or jimmies.
**To roast your own beets, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Remove the tops and the roots of the beets and peel each one with a vegetable peeler. Cut beets in quarters. Place the cut beets on a baking sheet and toss with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes.