About Adopting

Take the Pledge to Stop Supporting Puppy Mills

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 11.09.39 PM

The ASPCA is employing a national fleet of puppy interrogators to help put an end to puppy mills.

In the video below, Brownie the Dog is interrogating his owner, Mike, for buying him treats that smell like a pet store that sells puppies. In the end, Mike learns the truth about pet store puppies and pledges to never shop at one of those stores again. Will you take the pledge, too?

About 99% of all puppies sold in pet stores come from puppy mills. It’s not enough to just not buy puppies from these stores – we need to stop supporting these stores at all! If the owner of your local pet supply store really cares about dogs, they won’t buy and sell puppies, thereby directly contributing to the thriving puppy mill industry.

Next time you’re making a visit to your local pet store, if you see that they’re selling puppies, tell the owner that you’ll no longer support the people that support puppy mills, and don’t shop from the store again unless and until they stop supporting puppy mills!

Take the pledge at www.nopetstorepuppies.com!

1. Fiona Kent

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:53 am

No pet shop in the UK is allowed to sell cats or dogs, only small animals like rabbits, birds etc. personally I Would like the same implemented in the US. Breeder sell direct to the public only after very careful vetting. Of course you will get some unscrupulous breeders, but overall this is a far better system than selling dogs from a shop !

2. joyce england

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:32 am

never do business with a puppy mill . It is such a sad situation. Those people have no business with any dogs . Always adopt a rescue. They know you saved them and are very grateful

3. joyce england

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:29 am

Always give a dog a chance from a rescue. Puppy mills are horrible places ,run by people who have no business with any dog

4. Carol Penn

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:20 am

I bought my little Maltese-Bichon mix puppy from a pet store for my mom, whose dog had recently passed away. My mom did not want the dog so I ended up keeping her but soon after I got her home I realized she had “kennel cough” and took her to a vet where she almost died from pneumonia as she was so small at the time. Cute as a button but at the time I was not educated about pet stores and puppy mills. My second dog (a German shepherd/collie mix) I adopted from the Humane Society and would encourage others to do this rather than “buy” a puppy or dog.

5. Patti Dillon

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:05 am

I DO NOT support ANY store that sells puppies!!!!! I will NEVER support these stores!

6. Jean M Crowell.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I did it and I will share with my friends.