Front Page News

Want a Better Night’s Sleep? Share the Bed With Your Dog!

dogin bedA study by Australian researchers at Central Queensland University shows that more and more people are finding it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. The data, collected from 13,000 participants, shows that nearly 70% of people are regularly woken up at night, usually by their partner.

The good news? People are a lot less likely to be awakened by their dog, says Professor Drew Dawson.

“Partners were more likely to be disruptive than pets, and particularly people reporting partners who snored and partners who got up to go to the toilet and therefore turned the lights on,” he said.

While having neither a partner nor a pet in the bed generally offers the best possibility of an uninterrupted night’s sleep, when given the option of sharing the bed with your partner or with your dog – your best bet is to snuggle up next to your four-legged friend.

Read more details from the sleep study by visiting ABC News Australia.

What do you think? Do you share your bed with your dog? Do you sleep better with him next to you? Share your thoughts with us in a comment below.

1. Frances

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:01 pm

For me it did not work. With my dog in the bed, I was getting maybe 2 hours of sleep a night. Dog not in bed, sleep great. I do with it were different.

2. Jodie

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:52 pm

We’ve got 4 big dogs and tho I shop them away to their own beds when we fall asleep, two or three wind up back in the bed by the am! Hey are so snugly warm and soft and their rhythmic breathing is very soothing!

3. Peggy Rose thompson

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:01 am

I agree totally. My 2 Chihuahuas( one named Harley 18 lbs and DannyBoy 8 lbs), these boys are my sleeping partners. I have a waterbed, and especially in cold/chilly weather the guys love to take naps on the bed cause it stays warm. Their “sister” Bonnie is part chow and part shepherd. She sleeps on the throw rug beside my bed where I can hang my arm down the side and pet her. I coudn’t ever get to sleep if I didn’t know exactly where my furbabies were at bedtime.
    I can rest easy when they are near me. I am blesst to have them in my life.

4. Kim

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I cannot fall asleep without my puggle Mercie Faith she’s an awesome snuggler I would choose her before anything else. I love her.

5. Sharon

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Our bulldog Charley used to sleep in his crate, but he is such a cuddler that I started let him on the bed when I’d watch tv. Hubby finally gave in. It is now the three of us in a queen bed. Crowded, but Charley is so snugly, we’d be crowded in a king. Fortunately he is quiet and not gassy…just a bed hog. Wouldn’t have it any other way!

6. Suzann Reynolds

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I sleep with two miniature poodles and two Japanese Chins. They always sleep quiet as can be, all snuggled up, except one of the poodles who licks my nose early morning to get back under the covers. The best part … our morning routine. I get up about 7:30 am and we all head to the couch. Me with my coffee and iPad, the dogs to cuddle up and go back to sleep! Lol. It’s 9:00 am now and they haven’t moved yet!!

7. Del

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:23 am

My husband and I were divorced for about seven years. When we finally decided to get remarried he told me that he doesn’t like dogs in his bed. After thinking about that for 1 second, I said, “what a coincidence; Tommie (my little Maltese) said that he really objects to a man in his bed!” Guess who won!

8. Sandra

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm

The best part is not the sleeping, but the wakeup routine. My dogs will creep over and start sniffing me to see whether I’m awake. I’m usually still sleepy when they do this, so I try to remain still, but the sniffing and snuffling tickles, and it’s hard not to laugh. What a pleasant way to start the day!

9. Patti

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I can’t sleep well WITHOUT my dogs, just can’t get into that deep sleep. My night starts off with the Great Dane and then sometime during the night my husband’s Black Lab moves in and the Dane gets huffy and leaves the bed. The Lab throws out a LOT of body heat is real snuggly but gassy. If it gets below 0 F. then BOTH dogs stay on the bed and the cat joins us! We humans have to sleep on our sides to make room for the crew!

10. Irish Carlisle

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:22 pm

My dog sleeps with me every night. I couldn’t imagine a world without dogs. And I can’t sleep without mine!!! She’s my snuggle buddy!!!