“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
We just love to anthropomorphize our pooches? Anthropo-what? Well, you know–treat them like humans. Well, don’t do it on Valentine’s Day. Or at least, beware chocolate poisoning!! Yes, chocolate is a poison to dogs. Don’t pout. Just know you get to keep all the chocolate to yourself!! This PetMD article emphasizes to beware chocolate poisoning.
What Makes Chocolate Poisonous to Dogs?
Chocolate is made from cocoa, and cocoa beans contain caffeine and a related chemical compound called theobromine, which is the real danger.
The problem is that dogs metabolize theobromine much more slowly than humans, Denver veterinarian Kevin Fitzgerald, PhD, tells WebMD…
Even small amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Truly toxic amounts can induce hyperactivity, tremors, high blood pressure, a rapid heart rate, seizures, respiratory failure, and cardiac arrest.
Dogs and Chocolate: How Much is Too Much?
The more theobromine a cocoa product contains, the more poisonous it is to your dog.
Unsweetened bakers chocolate contains about 390 milligrams of theobromine per ounce — about 10 times more than milk chocolate and more than twice as much as semi-sweet chocolate. White chocolate contains very little theobromine.
According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight is potentially lethal.
But the real danger lies with dark chocolate. Merck warns that deaths have been reported with theobromine doses as low as 115 milligrams per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight.
So 20 ounces of milk chocolate, 10 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, and just 2.25 ounces of baking chocolate could potentially kill a 22-pound dog, Fitzgerald says.
Serious toxic reactions can occur with ingestion of about 100 to 150 milligrams of theobromine per kilogram of body weight.
Read the full article here. And, beware chocolate poisoning!! No matter how pleading those puppy eyes may be, keep it to yourself!! Has your dog been sick from chocolate? Did you have to take him to the vet?