“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Kennel cough is an illness that is airborne, meaning it can be easily caught by our canine friends if we are not careful. People and cats are less likely to catch this, and with just a few good home remedies for kennel cough to apply to your dog, he or she will be free from kennel cough. Also, another important thing to do is to keep your dog away from others if he is infected with the illness, until he heals.
Home Remedies for Kennel Cough
Treating and curing this condition with home remedies for kennel cough is not really as hard as you think – you can even do this at home without spending too much money. It is pretty much like the common cold for humans so it is going to be easy for you to treat it. Here are a bunch of good home remedies for kennel cough:
- Probiotics – these supplements and foods have great nutritional value not just for humans but also for our four-legged friends. Their task is to wipe out bad bacteria in your pet’s immune system, making him feel better and more alive. Probiotics for dogs can come in supplement form. Also, antibiotics can be recommended by your vet as a medical prescription. In this case of prescription, make sure to wait for at least 2 hours after giving the antibiotic, before giving the probiotic medicine to your dog, because antibiotics and probiotics are as we know at war with each other.
- Honey – this is another dog-friendly home remedy for kennel cough. It gives your pet a relief from the nasal discharge that comes with the kennel cough, and is a very sweet treat for your dog to enjoy. One tablespoon of honey twice a day should work for your dog and heal his kennel cough. Also, be sure to feed him raw honey, not ones with preservatives and artificial flavorings.
- Cough syrup – as with humans, dogs also have a decongestant cough syrup that can heal their kennel cough. Good products may include Nature’s Way products (Sambucus and Umcka Cold Care). Also, make sure that it has a good flavor that your dog will love, to make him heal faster. One teaspoon of syrup three times a day (depending on your dog’s size and age) will do.
- Cinnamon – this is another good food supplement for your dog to be healed of kennel cough. You can sprinkle cinnamon over your dog’s food or daily meals. Cinnamon has antiviral properties which can heal your dog faster.
- Coconut Oil – as coconut products are being the fad these days when it comes to home remedies and natural healing, coconut oil is no exception, even for dogs. As Kennel cough is caused by the Bordetella virus, coco oil has a good formula for exterminating it, because it is also antiviral like cinnamon. You can either pour it down his bowl of food or have him directly get spoonfuls of it. Your dog will love the fragrant smell and aroma of coco oil. These home remedies for kennel cough do work so give them a try when the need arises.
Has this article been helpful? Please share the article with other dog owners.