“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Small dogs are a popular choice among dog owners looking for all the unconditional love that bigger dogs provide, just wrapped up in a tiny package. Small dogs generally require less exercise, are better suited to apartment living, and normally live longer than their giant counterparts.
Our top 10 picks for pint-sized pups, in no particular order are:
1. Chihuahua. Number one in our list is this smart, playful, and obedient little pooch that also qualifies for a list of most wanted watchdogs. Chihuahuas like hanging around with their masters, and don’t require lots of exercise and grooming. The breed only stands about 6 to 9 inches and weighs in at about no more than 6 lbs. They have a very diverse coat and color selections, and have a lifespan of about 10 to 18 years.
2. Affenpinscher. Next in our list is the Affenpinscher, aka the “monkey dog”, which wears a large fur coat and bears a resemblance to a monkey hence the name Affenpinscher. The word “Affen” in German means “monkey or ape”, and the “Pinscher” denotes “terrier”. This tiny breed, which is also suited for watching your property, generally has a height of about 9 to 11 inches and a weight of about 7 to 9 lbs. Most recently, an Affenpinscher won “Best in Show” at the 2013 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show!
3. Bichon Frise. Known for being cheerful, this good-natured, lively little fellow has distinct fluffy white hair as well as black eyes and nose which are adored by many. Bichon Frises normally have a height of only 11 in and a weight of about 12 lbs. The breed has descended from many other lines such as Bolognese, Maltese, Havanese, and Coton de Tulear. Bichons are a popular choice among dog owners with allergies.
4. Chinese Crested. Although some people find this breed weird looking, we think they are beautiful and exquisite. Chinese Crested dogs are a small type of pooch that is commonly distinguished for their having no coat. They have long and silky hair, though, atop their head, around the neck, tail, and feet. One type of this breed which is the Powderpuff has full coat but its characteristic is genetically recessive. Chinese Crested pooches only stand a height of 13 inches and have a weight of about 12 lbs.
5. Japanese Chin. This agile, playful, and entertaining little fellow originated in Asia. Mild-mannered and elegant, the Japanese Chin used to be popular in the imperial courts of Japan and China. They are smart, active, and sport a heavy coat that requires weekly brushing. The breed only stands 8 to 11 inches and weighs about 9 lbs.
6. Papillon. Another popular small breed is the outgoing and highly active Papillon. Its unique name was derived from a French word which means “butterfly”. It’s very likely that the designation was given due to the close resemblance of the breed’s rather wide ears with the beautiful wings of a butterfly. Papillon dogs generally have a height of only 11 inches and a weight of about 9 lbs.
7. Pomeranian. Standing just about one foot tall and weighing about 7 pounds, this adorable small dog breed originated in Pomerania, Germany and is a descendant of large sled dogs. Available in brown, black, blue, cream, red, orange, and white coat colors, the breed are cute, intelligent, and bold. Pomeranians are tiny loyal dogs that can also make a good watchdog.
8. Toy Poodle. Popular for their being intelligent, beautiful, and elegant, Toy Poodles are much loved little dogs that sport a dense, curly coat. This friendly dog was originally bred to become a water retriever, and is now a common choice as companion for families. Toy Poodles excel in agility, hunting, and obedience training. They have a height of only 10 inches and a weight of around 9 lbs.
9. Toy Fox Terrier. This tiny American dog, which descended from the Smooth Fox Terrier line, used to serve as rattlers in houses, farms, and shops, as well as squirrel hunters. Toy Fox Terriers are known to be active, intelligent, and make excellent household companions. The breed stands only one foot tall and weighs about 7 lbs.
10. Yorkshire Terrier. Also known as a Yorkie, this elegant-looking pooch is another endearing tiny fellow that only has a height of 9 inches and a weight of 7 lbs. Suitable for apartment life, this cute breed is affectionate and friendly. No wonder, their line is one of the most sought-after lapdogs in the country!
Do you have a small dog? What are the biggest benefits to having a pint-sized pup at home?