About Breeds

15 Reasons Pit Bulls Should Totally Be Banned Forever

Breed Specific Legislation (or BSL) is still very common and widespread across the country. Proponents of BSL say Pit Bulls have inherent characteristics that make them dangerous, that these dogs should be banned from hearts and homes around the world forever.

Still many argue against banning them.

Here’s the truth about the inherent nature of Pit Bulls:

They look better in your clothes than you do.

They’ll definitely steal your spot on the couch.

#mondays

A photo posted by Hammer (@apitnamedhammer) on

They’re always baring their teeth at you.

Good luck getting any work done with this beast in your seat.

When you leave the room for a minute and he steals your seat 😂#cute #pitbull

A photo posted by caitlin contino (@caitee_anne) on

They hog the remote.

They obviously can’t be trusted around other dogs.

And, don’t even dare let them around a cat!

♡ #animallove #pitbull #cuddling #lovemonday

A photo posted by Donna (@donnainnes) on

Good luck eating ice cream without an audience ever again.

E chi studia più ..#cuba #pitbull #americanpitbull #icecream

A photo posted by Giulia Gritti (@giuligritti) on

Or any other meal for that matter.

Broccoli, Lentils and a PitBull on the side! #dogsofinstagram #pitbull

A photo posted by Stephanie (@broccolibeach) on

Two words: Bed hogs.

You’ll probably get attacked. With kisses.

#pitbull #domino

A photo posted by Nádia Fialho (@nadiafialho) on

Your children aren’t safe.

#pitbull #amor #niño #perros #mascotas

A photo posted by Cata Aldana (@cata.aldana.3) on

Especially babies.

Seriously?! Who even sleeps like that?

So, please, hurry to your nearest shelter and give a home to one of the very best friends you’ll ever know.

Do you share your heart and home with a vicious pit bull? Tell us about him or her in a comment below. And, SHARE this article to show everyone else the TRUE nature of pibbles.

1. Sue

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:56 pm

They are so sweet, but do need a strong handler.

2. Brandy Melton

May 29, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Lol all of those things are so true. I have 3 pitbulls, one of them we rescued. All 3 of my Pitts are the biggest babies on the planet. I absolutely love Pitt Bulls they are the most loyal dogs and they love kids. Any breed of dog can be mean if you raise them to be. Just saying.

3. Sue

May 22, 2016 at 12:08 am

In 45 years of rescue I’ve had a number of these dogs. Funny how after I acquire them, even if they’ve been previously disrespected and mistreated (and oh, so many of them are), they mellow right out.

The last one I had was amazing. I took him at the time he was going to be killed because of his breed. He was a energetic handful as a youngster, but he refused to bite anyone or anything, even if he was attacked. He actually saved me at a campground once, when one of those sacred two-legged creatures tried to rape me. The man thought I was alone, and didn’t know the dog was nearby. He gasped when he saw Otis running toward us. Now, Otis had every reason to bite this jerk, but instead he slowly and methodically pushed his head in between us, moved forward and got his body in between us, and then leaned against the guy to make him move away. The man got a little twitchy, and then pushed on Otis to try to stop him from leaning on him. Otis turned around and chest butted him, knocking him backwards. This lovely man yelled, “He tried to bite me!” and I replied, “Oh no, if he wanted to bite you, he would have bitten you. But he just gave you a warning, and if I were you I’d take the hint and leave.” And, he did.

This same dog also got in between me and a rattlesnake and would not leave it until I was safely several yards away. In addition, he prevented a robbery at the hotel where I worked as the night auditor, simply by coming up front to put in an appearance as soon as the drunk bastard said “This is a robbery.” He never went above the level of force needed to contain a situation. He was awesomely intelligent; he valued his independence, and I honored that as much as possible.

4. Carole Moore

May 12, 2016 at 4:53 pm

By these justifications people who look like Obama should also be banned…

5. Bob

May 12, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Those Pit Bulls are really dangerous. On a number of occasions I’ve been injured by strange Pit Bulls. Those damn tails hurt when they wag them hard and hit you with them. Some have even threaten me by sitting right in front of me preventing me from going anywhere until I said hello and gave them a good scratch and a pet. They are so damn cute they should be banned!!!!!

• Linda

May 15, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Even golden retrievers can be mean and bite.

• Dodi Traylor

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:21 am

Mine sits in front of the door and presses his 90lb body up against it so I can’t leave. My husband or so has to slide him away and hold him so I can get out.

6. Don Pruette

May 11, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Pit bulls are a somewhat unique breed in the sense that they have occasional issues with their temperament. It is not the breed’s fault-blame the human race for that one. Their DNA has been selectively altered to suit man’s selfish needs. The animal has no way to control this. What about people who are drug addicts or mentally unstable due to their DNA passed through the bloodline? Humans have a choice and are aware of the consequences-and they still make wrong choices-resulting in harmful and potentially deadly results to themselves and other people and creatures who are innocent victims of their “superior intellect” . Pit bulls are not for everyone-and the idiot public in general needs to be educated on that.They have a protective and territorial nature and due to the instinctive sense that is a part of all animals in the wild, passed through to the present forms, sometimes the sense of weakness in an older person or a child is picked up on by the animal. This is why they are not for everyone . BUT IT DEPENDS ON HOW THEY ARE RAISED. These dogs are one of the most loving and loyal breeds among dogs. They are raised around children everywhere. There should be an adult as the one raising them, giving them a sense of being the boss and keeping things at a pleasant and peaceful level in the home. I believe that these dogs have the unfortunate potential of becoming violent, but ONLY THROUGH BEING TRIGGERED BY BEING FOUGHT OR ABUSED. There could also be issues if one or both of the parents were fought. It is a breed that needs to be understood and supported on these issues-not labeled and discarded or killed.

7. Logan

May 11, 2016 at 12:45 pm

It would be nice if we could ban self absorbed idiots, as it seems to me that such individuals owning pit bulls is the source of the trouble. However this problem extends to such individuals owning any dog breed as well as say them owning a cell phone, which will most certainly be used to text while driving. Seeing as we cannot ban these useless (insert expletive here) perhaps people in general can simply wake up to the fact that there is such a thing as a greater good and that it is their civic duty to respect it, whether that means socializing a dog, in their care, or waiting until you get to where you’re going to check your text messages/facebook.

8. Lani

May 11, 2016 at 7:45 am

Our blue nose pit Smokie is the most loving dog I have ever owned. Just like ANY animal, they respond to how they are raised and treated. I am not hear to try and change anyone’s mind, but if you would open your heart and home to one of these majestic animals, you would see the love, compassion and proctection they have in their hearts for the one’s they love.

• Dave

May 13, 2016 at 11:42 am

Lani – I have to whole heartedly agree with you. Until three years ago, I was part of the uneducated – having a strong bias against pit bulls. However, three years ago I was introduced to a 4-year old pit bull named Tiger who needed a home. I reluctantly relented and have since been rewarded with the most wonderful companion – something that I was not expecting. My stance has since changed and I have educated myself more on pit bulls, their reputation (which is well deserved when not raised appropriately) and all the stereotypes which are just wrong (when they are raised in a loving environment).