Weird & Wacky

Interesting Facts About Your Dog’s Schnozz!

Some dog owners also opt for the micro-chip implants but these can be removed but your pooch’s nose is there for good. Having a nose print is an excellent way to ensure his safe and sound return if the dog ever becomes lost, and his or her owners need to be identified so the dog can be returned to them.

We’re all aware that dogs have an amazing sense of smell compare to us. We humans have about 5 million scent receptors in our snouts, while Dachshunds have 125 million or so. And they are on the low end of the doggy scale. Beagles and German Shepherds have about 225 million, while the legendary Bloodhound has about 300 million!

Just because your dog’s nose is warm does not indicate he is ill. The conventional wisdom is a dog with a cold nose is a healthy dog. A warm nose may indicate the dog has allowed the nose to become dry and thus feel warm to your touch. If his nose stays warm for more than a day a trip to the vet is in order to check for other possible health concerns.

Have you found these interesting facts about your dogs nose to be fun reading? Maybe you even learned something you were unaware of. We hope so!

What other interesting facts do you have to share with our readers? Please include them in the space below.

2 of 2Next
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

1. Russellrew

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:23 am

ranben hijinx sunglasses
    Go And Have A Look

2. JoJo

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Great info. I even learned something new 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

3. Nan Walton

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Canine survival instincts drive almost all dog behavior and it is primarily the olfactory senses of a dog that get the job done – both theirs and ours. These unbelievable senses drive actions that man uses daily and we should certainly be grateful the canine species decided to make the human species part of their family!

4. Jamie

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:51 am

How bout when your dogs nose drips, like when we have a cold and our nose is runny?

5. Mary

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:21 pm

My Boxer has the driest nose on the planet. I put “bag balm” on it. It will literally get so dry, small chunks will come off. Poor guy suffers.

• Amber Ross

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Hi, we have a dog with a dry nose and use a product available in the UK called Yumega which we love, however, we also buy Vitamin E capsules and break them open to put on his nose, it works really quickly! I’m sure people will point out that a dry nose may mean other problems, so a quick trip to the vet may also be in order.

• bellini

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:51 am

I’d definitely take a trip to the vet. That kind of dryness can be discoid lupus. Something to check out for sure.

• Anne

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:19 am

I’ve had three boxers and all of them have had dry noses, I thought it was something that boxers just had.

• Mike Carlson

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:30 pm

We have a product that is guaranteed to fix that dry crusty nose. It’s called Snout Soother. Check it out on our website. Money back guarantee.

6. George Chase

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm

There was a company advertising nose print charms & tags. When I went to check them out, I coudnt even check price w/o giving my addresses, so I clicked off.

7. Lance

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm

That’s quite an interesting fact:) I never thought that taking a nose print is possible until I read this article. lol

8. Joyce

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

I love my Dog’s * Wet nose kisses* He just turned 10 yesterday!

9. Greg

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:31 am

I still often wonder why a dog has to put his olfactory directly on a pile of dog doo or any other object if they have such a keen sense of smell.

10. Marcia

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:12 am

I am also wondering how they obtain nose prints. My son used to nose-print our very patient dachshund with Silly Putty, but I’ll bet there’s another way. 😉

11. Karleen Lindsey

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:57 am

How do they take a nose print? Do they use ink like with finger prints? And does it wrap around the sides of the nose or just the front? Interesting.

12. Patricia

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:37 am

Quite interesting little article. Now I found out something new. I always look at My one dogs nose because it looks like a teddy bears nose.