Help your pooch cool down on hot days with tasty doggie popsicles. They’re not only simple, but easy on the wallet as well. Below are some homemade popsicle recipes that will surely keep Fido cool and content this sunny season.
Homemade Pupsicle Recipe Ideas
1. Whole-fruit Pupsicles. Begin by mixing 4 cups of water, 1 cup of chopped fresh fruit, and 1 tbsp. of molasses (dissolved in water) in a bowl. Just pick the fruit that your pooch loves the most (don’t forget to discard any of its pits or seeds!). Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
2. Apple-Honey Pupsicles. Start by mixing 2 six-ounce containers of non-fat, plain yogurt, 2 tbsp. of peanut butter, 2 tbsp. of honey, and 1/3 cup of applesauce in a bowl. Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
3. Chicken Pupsicles. Combine 1 cup of low-sodium chicken stock, ½ cup of water, and 1 ½ ounces of finely chopped chicken meat in a bowl. Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
4. Bacon Pupsicles. Combine 1 cup of non-fat, plain yogurt, 1/3 cup of cinnamon applesauce, ¼ cup of milk, 3 ounce-bag of real bacon bits, and 3 tbsps. of maple syrup in a bowl. Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
5. Banana-Peanut Butter Pup-cream. Prepare the following ingredients: 1 ripe banana, ½ cup of peanut butter, ¼ cup of wheat germ. Prepare by mashing the bananas and peanut butter together. Stir the mixture in wheat germ, and then pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
For an added treat, use a carrot stick or your dog’s favorite healthy, long crunchy treat as the popsicle stick! When using a popsicle mold, allow the mixture to partially set and insert the “stick” into each popsicle, then allow it to freeze completely.
Do you have a favorite Pup-sicle recipe to share? We’d love to hear it in a comment below!