“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
A family is devastated, a healthy Golden Retriever is dead, and a Petco grooming salon is to blame.
When Allison Marks took Colby, her 2-year old Golden Retriever to Petco for a routine grooming at a Virginia Petco store, she expected to pick up a freshly pampered, healthy and happy pup just a couple of hours later.
When she had not heard back from the store in a few hours, she called to check on her boy.
Instead of being told that Colby could come home, she was told to meet the store’s assistant manager at a nearby animal hospital where he was pronounced dead from heat stroke.
Marks was told that the groomer had accidentally left Colby in a drying cage when she left work early to attend a graduation party.
While the family are in complete shock over what happened and the loss of their four-legged family member, Petco released the following statement:
“All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.”
A similar incident at an Ohio Petsmart resulted in the death of a 6-year old Newfoundland last year.