“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
A well-prepared police officer is credited with saving the life of a dog that ingested her owner’s legally prescribed pain medication.
A Lyman, Maine woman is grateful for the officer that rushed to save her dog’s life on Thursday after she ingested an unknown number of Oxycodone tablets.
York County Sheriff William King said a woman flagged down Sgt. David Chauvette Thursday morning, fearful her 3-year old Lab, Addie, had “overdosed” on the narcotic pain medication that’s legally prescribed to her.
”I knew that something needed to be done or there would be dire consequences,” owner Leslie Reynolds told WCSH. ”I’m a registered nurse, so I wasn’t totally freaking out, but still, it was my baby puppy.”
She first contacted her veterinarian who was unable to assist. So, she flagged down a police officer hoping he’d have the reversal drug, naloxone, more commonly known as Narcan, on hand.
“When she asked me to administer Narcan to her dog I was really taken aback,” said Sgt. Chauvette. “There was no decision to be made. As soon as she told me what was going on, there was no decision to be made. We just go ahead and do what we have to do and hope and pray for the best results.”
The incident was both the first time Narcan has ever been known to be given to a dog, and the officer’s first time administering the drug.
Sheriff King said as soon as the sergeant administered Narcan to the dog, Addie seemed to “perk up a little.”
By Thursday evening, Reynolds said Addie was doing just fine and she was grateful the officer was carrying the life-saving drug.
Law enforcement officers across the state are now carrying Narcan in the event their K9 partners inhale or ingest any lethal drugs during searches.