“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Police in San Francisco have issued multiple warnings to pet owners to use extreme caution when walking their dogs along Crestline Drive in the Twin Peaks neighborhood after 35 poisoned meatballs were found along the popular dog walking path.
An animal control officer found 34 small balls of raw meat hidden among the bushes along a popular dog walking spot. The hunt began after a resident, Dorothy Schechter, pulled one of the suspicious meatballs from the mouth of her dog, A.J. during their walk.
“I pulled them out right away and realized, oh my god, it’s the meatballs again,” Schechter told KGO-TV.
Last July, Schechter’s dog, Oskar, a 7-year old Dachshund, died after eating a meatball he’d found along the same Crestline Drive path. Several other dogs reported becoming ill after eating the meatballs, later found to be laced with strychnine. Police never located the person responsible for leaving the laced meatballs last July and have reason the believe the same person is responsible this time.
Animal Care and Control officer, Lt. Denise BonGiovanni found the meatballs in carports, behind stairwells, along curbs and in hedges and bushes – in spots more likely to be found and quickly gobbled up by dogs than spotted by their humans.
So far, three area dogs have been reported ill after walking along Crestline Drive. While San Francisco Police are investigating the poisoned meatballs, Animal Care and Control officers have posted at least 50 warning signs in the neighborhood, urging dog owners to keep their pets inside, to carefully watch their dogs, and to walk them away from curbs and shrubbery.
Police are urging anyone with any information to contact the department’s anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444.