“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
How to Prepare:
· Close and lock cabinet doors for it may contain toxic cleaners that would be dangerous to the pet.
· Check the accessible garbage pails for food and plastic wraps or foils in it that your pet might swallow.
· Remove over-hanging pan handles as they can be pulled off the stove.
· Do not leave oven doors open as they may be very hot.
· Keep knives and skewers out of reach as they can be licked, or worse, swallowed.
· Make sure that there are no plastic canisters anywhere as they can form deadly airtight seals if the puppy gets its head stuck inside.
· Do not let your puppy stand under your feet as you cook.
The Dining Room
· Secure swinging doors that may swing shut on the pet’s tail, or worse, on his neck.
· Check hanging tablecloths as they can be pulled down along with the plates and utensils on it.
The Family Room
· Get a secure fire screen for the fireplace and do not leave your puppy unattended around a lit fire.
· Cover electrical outlets as it can shock if licked.
· Hide as many electric cords as possible for it can also shock if chewed through.
· Keep sewing baskets and craft kits away from the pet as they may contain items that would certainly be dangerous when swallowed.
· Provide baby gates in front of your stairways as puppies may not be quite ready to navigate steps.
· Do not leave toys out as they can be easily destroyed; with parts becoming dangerous if swallowed.
· Keep coins out of reach as well, for those are also harmful if swallowed.
· Close closet doors closed and put shoes on racks to keep the puppy from chewing them.
· Keep the puppy away from diaper pails. When swallowed, plastic diapers can result to bowel obstructions.
· Hang the long cords of blinds out of reach or cut the loops as puppy can choke if the cord catches its head.
· Always close the bathroom door.