Pumpkin is a great source of fiber for dogs! In fact, many dog owners include pumpkin as a part of their dog’s daily diet to keep the digestive system healthy. That’s why pumpkin is the all-natural, safe, healthy ingredient that EVERY pet parent should keep in the pantry!
What Benefits Fido Can Get from Canned Pumpkin:
Pumpkins are very rich in fiber and even just 2 teaspoons of a canned version of it can aid in your dog’s digestion process.
Canned pumpkin, which is in puree form, contains lots of dietary fiber which can absorb the excess water in your dog’s stool; thus, making his poop more firm. This makes it perfect for when your dog has diarrhea. Interestingly, the same product can treat constipation. Canned pumpkin can also help in softening Fido’s stool and cure his upset stomach in an instant. No wonder, this common item for consumption is regarded as one of the best natural remedies to our pet’s stomach problems. Aside from that, canned pumpkin can also make a tasty, healthy addition to dog treats.
Canned pumpkins are not just rich in fiber, but in some other nutrients as well such as Vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. It’s low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium, too! So making treats for Fido with this nourishing ingredient is a good health decision. Try out a couple of these recipes!
Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Nibblers
2 ½ cups of whole wheat flour
1 ¼ cups of canned pumpkin (only use the pure pumpkin puree, not the pumpkin chunks or pumpkin pie filling)
¼ cup of peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
¼ cup of water
additional flour for rolling.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.
3. Add water as necessary to combine all the ingredients.
4. Roll out dough to about ¼ inch of thickness and then cut them using your favorite cookie cutters.
5. Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet, and bake for about 20 minutes.
6. For a crisper, harder biscuit, you may bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, tops. Cool the pumpkin cookies completely before serving.
Pumpkin Crunch Cookies
2 1/2 cups whole wheat or all purpose flour
1 cup 100% pure pumpkin, canned
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven 350°F.
2. Combine pumpkin, cinnamon and egg in a bowl. Mix until well blended.
3. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time into the mixture until a stiff dough forms.
4. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut the dough into desired shape and size treats. Line treats 1/2 inch apart on a non-greased cookie sheet. Because these treats don’t expand during cooking, they’ll hold their shape well and can be baked fairly close together.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until treats are golden brown.
6. Turn the oven off, but leave the cookie sheet of treats inside for about 1-2 hours to allow them to become crunchy.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.
Both of these crunchy cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, in the refrigerator for up to a month, or up to 6 months in the freezer.
If you prefer a grain-free treat, the recipes can be made using an alternative flour, like coconut flour. However, grain-free flour alternatives will typically change the outcome of the cookie. Coconut flour, for example, will require additional moisture while chia flour will result in a cookie that may not crisp up, but will remain softer after baking. Have fun playing with alternative flours and please, share your favorite grain-free baking tips in a comment below!
Enjoyed this article? Pin it!