Awesome Stories

Vet Intern Finds Tick Just Moments Before Paralyzed Dog is to be Euthanized

FOX10 News | WALA

It was a lucky day for Ollie. Just moments before the paralyzed dog was to be euthanized a veterinary intern decided to take one last thorough look at the pup and made a startling discovery that ultimately saved his life.

Ollie had suddenly and unexplainably lost his mobility. When the Collie reached the point that he could no longer stand, couldn’t walk, and could no longer urinate, and after several failed treatments from their veterinarian, the family made the heartbreaking decision to humanely euthanize their furriest family member.

“When his mobility was shot and he was paralyzed, it was just weird seeing him just laying there on the floor, knowing he had so much more life in him,” Ollie’s owner Falline Fate explained.

Dove Lewis Animal Hospital veterinarian Dr. Adam Stone explained that any number of issues could have caused Ollie’s paralysis – cancer, trauma, spinal or vertebral fracture, and more.

The family said their goodbyes and Ollie was in the exam room being prepped to take his final breath when an intern decided to take one last look.

The observant intern spotted a tiny tick embedded just behind Ollie’s ear.

“They have a neurotoxin in their saliva that prevents nerve transition to the muscles, and that takes time to build up in the body and cause paralysis like what we saw in Ollie,” Dr. Stone said. It’s likely Ollie picked up the tick on a recent family camping trip.

Just 10 hours after removing the tick from Ollie’s neck, the dog had made a complete and full recovery, had regained all mobility, and was back to his old, spunky self again.

Dr. Stone says that paralysis from ticks, although rare, is possible and that pet parents should be diligent in preventing and inspecting for ticks on a regular basis.

7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Yanti Satja

    May 16, 2017 at 10:32 pm

    thnx so much..dr.Stone,the vet.

  2. Pingback: Wow! At The Perfect Time Vet Tech Found Tick On Paralyzed Dog While Prepping Him For Euthanization! – Family Doggies

  3. jennifer

    Jun 12, 2016 at 10:30 am

    why is the Dr getting all the credit? If it were not for the intern this vet would have killed their dog for nothing. Come on nobody checked the dog for ticks and along comes this intern that showed compassion before the vet ended his life and yes the grace of God SHE found the tick. She should be the one getting recognized. I say way to go to Neena Golden the intern your going to make a great vet!

  4. Suzanne Henderson

    May 28, 2016 at 12:24 pm

    Same thing happened to my beloved Akita. He was paralyzed and at the ortho dr. Dr said, (let’s run a tick panel)

  5. annette brockman

    May 27, 2016 at 5:07 pm

    Please give the vet. intern a raise. He deserves a large raise for his or her extra effort. I am sure the dogs owner would take intern out for a steak dinner. I know that is what I would have done if the dog was mine.

    Annette brockman

  6. Susan B

    May 27, 2016 at 2:21 pm

    Who was the veterinary intern? He/she deserves recognition for saving this Collie’s life!

  7. Ida K

    May 23, 2016 at 10:56 am

    This happened to my dog, except the vet missed the tick and I found it – the night before he was going in for xrays. At least my vet LOOKED for a tick, what were these doctors thinking?? With a long haired dog like that they should have absolutely scoured it. As soon as my dog started losing mobility EVERYBODY was telling me to look for a tick (it was hidden under his tail right next to his anus where I obviously never pet him :/ )
    Was this not common knowledge at this clinic? I feel for what the owners went through.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest dog news, recall alerts, and giveaways!

You have Successfully Subscribed!