Westminster 'Best in Show' Hopeful Saves Owner's Life - The Dogington Post
Awesome Stories

Westminster ‘Best in Show’ Hopeful Saves Owner’s Life

dobermanHe may not have won the big title yet, but this Doberman Pinscher named Troy is already a fan favorite in the upcoming Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show – and it’s not just for his stunning good looks. This dog’s a true hero!

Three years ago, when Troy was only 4-month old, he saved his Staten Island owner, Diane Papazian’s life by detecting her breast cancer.

Papazian’s husband, Harry, described to The Daily News how, while lying in bed one morning, Troy was especially persistent in nuzzling Diane’s breast. This peculiar persistence led Diane to perform a self-exam during which she discovered a lump.

The lump proved to be cancerous. Diane underwent a double mastectomy and chemotherapy and is happily cancer-free now, thanks to Troy.

“Who knows what our lives would have been like if we didn’t have him?” said Harry, 57. “It could have been disastrous. We are just very thankful for having him in our lives.”

Since saving her owner’s life, Troy has been taking the dog show circuit by storm. He is currently the 9th highest ranked Doberman Pinscher headed into the Westminster Dog Show on February 10th and 11th at Madison Square Garden.

While the Papazian’s are hoping for a ‘Best in Show’ victory for their prized pooch, to them, he’s already a winner.

1. sharylla

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I will be cheerin troy on tonight!!! paws crossed!!!

2. Sondra Kelly

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Troy should be honored at the show. He’s truly a hero.

3. Susan

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:18 am

Thank you so much for posting the article about Tro y…
    Troy is GCH Raindance Led Zeppelin of Marquis…
    And that is not his picture….Please email me and I will send a pic of my boy.

• Joan DeCenzo

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:38 am

Great article about your dog.

We lost our beloved 10 year old dobbie last month from CHF. We are interested in adding another to our family and were wondering if you could recommend a breeder. We do not wish to show our dog and desire a family pet. We live in Boston, MA

Thank you for any thoughts you offer.

4. Sandra Gregornik

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:43 am

Lovely story. My first Doberman alerted me to smoke coming from my kitchen. Thus preventing a house fire, he was 8 Months old.

5. Barbara beristianos

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I had a beautiful blended Pug and Terrier she saved me quit often by waking me up in the middle of the night when my breathing was bad from my COPD and I would do my treatment .my husband worked at night so I was alone with my fantastic Ameesha .