Whenever possible, we always prefer a natural alternative to harsh chemicals or dangerous ingredients when treating our dogs. That’s why we love Coconut Oil, Canned Pumpkin, and Diatomaceous Earth – these three natural, safe, and healthy alternatives are proven to work and are completely safe in treating a wide variety of issues, from joint health, to hot spots, to flea control, and digestion, check out these three natural remedies and how to use them:
• Coconut Oil
What You Need to Know about Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil offers multiple benefits not just to us, humans, but even to our animal companions as well. When given to your pooch, it can aid in making his skin healthy by clearing up common skin problems like itchiness, flea allergies, fungal infections, eczema, and contact dermatitis. This widespread natural ingredient also helps in preventing dry skin, making your pooch’s coat sleek and glossy, disinfecting cuts, and promoting wound healing. In addition, this natural product can aid in letting your pooch gain better digestion, improved bone health, and superior metabolic function, and even enhanced immune system.
How to Use Coconut Oil:
As a food supplement: When you supplement your pooch’s diet with this ingredient, remember to start slow. Bear in mind that giving your dog too much coconut oil hastily can result in digestive and detox problems. Large amounts of this component can cause diarrhea so begin with small amounts and just increase gradually. A general rule of thumb for the optimal dose for Fido is only about one teaspoon for every ten pounds of body weight daily or about one tablespoon for every thirty pounds. Do not start with these amounts as you commence the change in Fido’s diet though. You can try ¼ teaspoon daily for puppies or small breeds, and 1 teaspoon for large breeds. Just slowly increase the amount after a few days and no problem has occurred. Once your four-legged friend appears to be uncomfortable, lethargic, or has diarrhea, just reduce the amount temporarily. Coconut oil is often best administered with solid or liquid food at any meal.
As a topical treatment for skin issues: In addition to feeding coconut oil to your dog, you can use it as a topical treatment for a variety of skin issues. Dry patches, itchy skin, hot spots, infections, etc. Just rub a generous amount of coconut oil directly onto your dog’s skin. The best part of all – it’s perfectly safe if Fido licks it off.
• Canned Pumpkin
What Benefits Fido Can Get from Canned Pumpkin:
Pumpkins are very rich in fiber and even just 2 teaspoons of a canned version of it can already aid in your pooch’s digestion process. Canned pumpkin, which is in puree form, contains lots of dietary fiber which can absorb the excess water in your dog’s stool; thus, making his poop more firm. This makes it perfect for when your dog has diarrhea. Interestingly, the same product can treat constipation. Canned pumpkin can also help in softening Fido’s stool and cure his upset stomach in an instant. No wonder, this common item for consumption is regarded as one of the best natural remedies to our pet’s stomach problems. Aside from that, canned pumpkin can also make a tasty, healthy addition to dog treats.
Sample Pumpkin Dog Treat You Can Prepare:
Canned pumpkins are not just rich in fiber, but in some other nutrients as well such as Vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. It’s low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium, too! So making treats for Fido with this nourishing ingredient is a good health decision. To give you an idea, why not try the pumpkin dog treat with peanut butter recipe we have found for you below:
· Ingredients: 2 ½ cups of whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, 1 ¼ canned pumpkin (only use the pure pumpkin puree, not the pumpkin chunks or pumpkin pie filling), ¼ cup of peanut butter (smooth or crunchy), ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and ¼ cup of water, and additional flour for rolling.
· Instructions: Start by preheating the oven to 350° F, and then placing all ingredients in a bowl. Stir the jumble until thoroughly mixed. After this, add water as necessary to combine all the ingredients. Roll out dough to about ¼ inch of thickness and then cut them using dog cookie cutters. Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet, ando then bake for about 20 minutes. But if you want a really hard cookie for Fido, you can bake it up to 5 to 10 minutes only. Cool the pumpkin cookies completely on a wire rack or you can leave them in the oven to cool overnight before serving.
• Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
The Advantages of Using Diatomaceous Earth (DE):
Diatomaceous earth is an effective yet inexpensive way of controlling both external and internal parasites in your pooch. It is a safe, non-toxic substance made up from crushed freshwater organism and marine life fossils that could be deadly to any insect but completely harmless to pets. In addition, diatomaceous earth has been found out to absorb toxic compounds and matters like methyl mercury, endotoxins, e-coli, viruses, drug and pesticide residues, and even protein. As a result, this natural remedy has become very valuable as a colon cleanser, detox solution, and digestive aid.
How Diatomaceous Earth Works and How to Use it:
DE is generally a powder made of micro-skeletons of deceased diatoms. It’s mode of action in terms of insect/parasite control is mainly mechanical. Those microscopic sharp edges of powdered diatoms have sharp edges that when comes in contact with the insect/parasite, can pierce through its protective coating. As a result, these irritants and their larvae get dehydrated and die.
When using diatomaceous earth, consider the following guidelines:
· Wear a mask and put one on Fido. Although this substance is non-toxic, you’ll want to keep it from getting in your lungs.
· Sprinkle the DE along your pooch’s spine. Massage it along his body as you work your way carefully to his extremities, avoiding your dog’s eyes.
· You can also try spreading some DE on the carpet, brushing it in, and leaving it there for about four days. You can then vacuum it up to get rid of the fleas in the carpet.
· Just repeat the application as often as necessary during an infestation. You should be able to see a decrease in fleas within only a couple of days.
· Ensure that you use the natural, human-grade DE, not the one used in swimming pools.
For more information about using All Natural Remedies, check out these fantastic sources: