Front Page News

A Match Made in Heaven: 3 Nuns Adopt Senior Pit Bull

Three nuns adopted Remy, a senior pit bull. It's a match made in Heaven! Photo courtesy Hi Tor Animal Care Center.

Three nuns adopted Remy, a senior pit bull. It’s a match made in Heaven! Photo courtesy Hi Tor Animal Care Center.

For several months, 9-year old pit bull, Remy sat in a New York shelter, waiting for her forever home. A combination of her age and breed made it unlikely she’d ever leave the shelter.

That is, until three nuns from Sisters of Our Lady of Christian Doctrine of Nyack visited the Hi Tor Animal Care Center looking for a new furry friend.

The Sisters told News12 they wanted to bring home a dog that might otherwise be euthanized, one that nobody else wanted. As soon as they spotted Remy, with her greying muzzle and gentle, loving demeanor, they knew immediately that she was “the one.”

“She’s a senior, and we are seniors,” one Sister proclaimed. “She’s a gentle dog and seems happy and content and easy to please.”

Pure love! Photo courtesy Hi Tor Animal Care Center.

Pure love! Photo courtesy Hi Tor Animal Care Center.

The Hi Tor Animal Care Center announced the adoption to their Facebook fans last weekend,

Did you ever hear of Divine Intervention? Remy has. Our sweet, senior pup was adopted today not just by one Nun but by three! It is so moving how the Sisters embraced Remy and promised her Heaven on Earth! We certainly believe she will have the best life has to offer. Congratulations to Remy and her new family.

The Sisters say Remy brings a lot of love into their home, filling the void left by their previous dog that recently passed.

“It was hard to find a successor, but we got a good one,” one Sister said through tears of joy. They’ve promised to love and care for her for as many years as she has left on Earth.

It’s truly a match made in Heaven!

1. Grow taller

May 16, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Rather, the body regains its supplements to get taller youthful functions and youth is restored.

There are lots of products in the market
    but the human growth hormone over steroids because it can cause health problems in the future as well,
    since the tissues themselves will be much stronger.
    We hear about it in the first place to supplements to get taller even attempt regular anaerobic workouts.
    Because of its natural status, there is a huge win in my book!

2. Sondra Kelly

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:08 pm

This is a heartwarming story. I wish them & Remy a long & happy life together.

3. Joe Chess

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:31 am

This story made me smile during a very difficult time in my life. Not only do I love Pit bulls, I love nuns, I love God, and I love the goodness of the human spirit. I wish I could give each of these nuns and this beautiful pitbull a hug and kiss. God bless each of them, They have Gods work correct. There actions are proof.

4. Sister Alice Marie

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:19 pm

We all so have a rescue fox terrier named Brian and he is the love of oue lives. Blessings Sr Alice And Sr Angela

5. Morgain McGovern

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:41 pm

After all the hard news lately, this story brought back some of my faith in humanity. When I hit my silver years, I hope to be like these beautiful, kind and rocking old ladies. Old dogs and old broads rule!!!

6. Rose Carter

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Dear Sisters,
    You have done a beautiful thing in giving this sweet girl a loving home. St. Francis is proud I’m sure and you three are on his ‘short list’! Think I am too because of rescue efforts! Awesome story.

7. Toof The Tripawed

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Now that’s what I call a Sister Act!

We “paid it forward” when our beautiful “Chunk” passed suddenly. We decided the best way to honor her memory was to adopt an unwanted special needs animal. We hit a homerun. Toof is absolutely amazing. He was mauled at 8 weeks of age and his hind leg was amputated at the hip, half his ear was chewed off, his tongue was shredded, and he lost all hearing in his left ear.

Four months this pathetic little puppy waited for a forever home, but he looked too pitiful and looked like too much work. Their loss is our gain. If you don’t mind, here’s his first trip to the big dog park since he was mauled at 8 weeks of age.

Special needs…they are truly special.