Every pet parent that travels (even if just down the street to the dog park) knows that having the right vehicle can make all the difference in the world! In fact, many of us shop for a new car with our dogs specifically in mind!
If you’ve got a large dog (or multiple dogs), you’ll want something with a bit more room. If you’ve got a senior dog, you might want something that’s easy for your baby to get in and out of. And, if you do lots of traveling with the fur-kids, plenty of storage space and rear climate control can be lifesavers.
Autotrader’s top picks for pet owners and people with a dog in the PAWsenger seat are (in no particular order):
2020 Audi Q5
2020 Chrysler Pacifica
2020 Honda Fit
2020 Hyundai Kona
2020 Jeep Wrangler
2020 Kia Soul
2020 Subaru Outback
2020 Tesla Model Y
2021 Toyota Sienna
2020 Volvo V60
For more information about Autotrader’s must-have accessories for your dog, pet safety tips when driving or to find your new dog, visit Dogtrader.com. To learn more about the Best Cars for Dog Lovers of 2020, visit www.autotrader.com/best-cars/best-cars-for-dogs.
Whether you choose from the Top Picks above or shop around for the perfect vehicle for the whole family (of course that includes the dog!) keep the following features in mind:
• A rear lift gate allows your dog to jump in and out of the car easily; it also makes for more convenient loading in/loading out of pet carriers, crates and kennels.
• Fold-flat seats create a spacious area for your dog to sit while keeping the actual surface of the seats clean from hair or scratches.
• An airy cabin is especially beneficial for large dogs to stretch out.
• Rear cargo-attachment ringlets help keep carriers and crates from sliding around.
• A containment barrier/divider keeps your dog from jumping up to the front seat while the car is in motion.
• A low ride height helps dogs — especially older ones — get in and out with ease.
• Rear climate control keeps your dog cool and comfortable in transit no matter what the weather is like.
• A sunroof brings fresh air and sunlight so you can keep your dog from hanging hiss head out of the window.
• Underfloor storage gets your things out of the way so your dog can ride more comfortably.
In addition to rounding up their top picks for pet parents, Autotrader celebrates National Dog Day, August 26th, by announcing limited-edition dog vests to make dog hair clean up quick and easy while on the road, keeping your car looking its best. Available exclusively on Autotrader’s dog-focused website, Dogtrader.com, dog parents can enter for a chance to win a limited-edition accessory for their furry companion from August 24 through September 14.
Prospective pet parents can also search for local dogs on Dogtrader.com, searching for that perfect make and model to become a new part of their family. Through a donation to Adopt-a-Pet.com, Autotrader is also driving home its mission is to help get homeless dogs out of shelters and into loving homes.
Enjoyed this article? Pin it!