Every pet parent that travels (even if just down the street to the dog park) knows that having the right vehicle can make all the difference in the world! In fact, many of us shop for a new car with our dogs specifically in mind!
If you’ve got a large dog (or multiple dogs), you’ll want something with a bit more room. If you’ve got a senior dog, you might want something that’s easy for your baby to get in and out of. And, if you do lots of traveling with the fur-kids, plenty of storage space and rear climate control can be lifesavers.
Finding the perfect, just-right car for your family can be challenging, especially when some family members have four legs and fur. Because dog-loving drivers often bring their sidekicks along on adventures, they need to consider their pups when thinking about which new car to buy. Accordingly, Autotrader makes it easy to search for and find the best car for all members of the family, pets included. For the eighth consecutive year, Autotrader celebrates National Dog Day (August 26) with its list of the 2021 Best New Cars for Dog Lovers, identifying the 2021 model-year vehicles that are perfect for dogs and their owners.
Autotrader’s top picks for pet owners and people with a dog in the PAWsenger seat are:
2021 Chrysler Pacifica
2021 Ford Bronco
2021 Honda Passport
2021 Jeep Wrangler
2021 Kia Telluride
2021 Nissan Rogue
2021 Subaru Forester
2021 Tesla Model Y
2021 Toyota Sienna
2021 Volvo XC60 Recharge
*Models are unranked, listed in alphabetical order.
For more information about Autotrader’s must-have accessories for your dog, pet safety tips when driving or to find your new dog, visit Dogtrader.com. To learn more about the Best Cars for Dog Lovers of 2021, visit www.autotrader.com/best-cars/best-cars-for-dogs.
Whether you choose from the Top Picks above or shop around for the perfect vehicle for the whole family (of course that includes the dog!) keep the following features in mind:
• A rear liftgate allows your dog to jump in and out of the car easily; it also makes for more convenient loading in/loading out of pet carriers, crates and kennels.
• Fold-flat seats create a spacious area for your dog to sit while keeping the actual surface of the seats clean from hair or scratches.
• An airy cabin is especially beneficial for large dogs to stretch out.
• Rear cargo-attachment ringlets help keep carriers and crates from sliding around.
• A containment barrier/divider keeps your dog from jumping up to the front seat while the car is in motion.
• A low ride height helps dogs — especially older ones — get in and out with ease.
• Rear climate control keeps your dog cool and comfortable in transit no matter what the weather is like.
• A sunroof brings fresh air and sunlight so you can keep your dog from hanging hiss head out of the window.
• Underfloor storage gets your things out of the way so your dog can ride more comfortably.
In addition, Autotrader once again teamed up with Adopt-a-Pet.com to create Dogtrader.com, where prospective pet parents can search for local adoptable dogs as they decide which make and model will become a new part of their family.
As a fun way to celebrate National Dog Day and bring awareness to Adopt-a-Pet.com’s mission to get homeless dogs out of shelters and into loving homes, this year Autotrader is partnering with world champion freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy – and his best furry friend Birdie – to create the ultimate dog calendar, Autotrader’s 2022 Calen-dog. This one-of-a-kind wall calendar celebrates man’s best friend by borrowing from the nostalgia of car calendars, but instead featuring pictures of cute canines month after month. Kenworthy is a passionate advocate against animal cruelty and a champion of raising awareness for adopting shelter pets. The 2022 Calen-dog features Kenworthy and Birdie, along with some top dog-fluencers and adorable pups from Adopt-a-Pet.com. Dog lovers everywhere can enter for the chance to win one of the Calen-dogs on Dogtrader.com.
Enjoyed this article? Share it!