“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
With winter weather in full swing for many parts of the country, there are a couple very important poisoning dangers for pet owners to be aware of.
The salt that is laid down on roads, sidewalks, and driveways can be a major health risk for our four legged pets. Dogs (and cats) step in salt and naturally want to lick their paws to clean them and relieve the skin irritation. However, this can cause a potentially fatal reaction to the chemicals they are ingesting. Some possible ways to prevent this is by not allowing your dog to walk on the salt, use a pet safe deicer, and wash your dog’s paws off before they get the opportunity to lick them clean.
Another major health concern during the winter months is the issue of anti-freeze ingestion. Many vehicles leak anti-freeze on roads and driveways. These puddles can be very appealing to our pets because of the color, odor, and taste…making it a very concerning issue for dog owners. Consumption of anti-freeze can be fatal to dogs and cats if not treated quickly. Possible symptoms of ingestion include: vomiting, seizures, increased rate of breathing, and appearing sleepy.
Prevention is often the best way to keep our dogs safe from these very common dangers. However, if you even suspect that your dog might have been exposed/consumed either road salt or anti-freeze, make sure you contact your Veterinarian immediately. Let’s keep our four legged family members safe during this winter season.
Steve Reid is a Certified Dog Trainer and owner of S.R. Dog Training, LLC based in Westchester, NY. Steve’s mission is on “Changing the World for Dogs”. For more information about S. R. Dog Training, send an e-mail to [email protected], call 914-774-7654 or visit srdogtraining.com
Thanks for keeping us informed with things that can harm our kids!
I would like to take the time to comment on the anti-freeze also known as ethylene glycol. If you check some dog foods and treats they have some amount of the substance. Some of the treats are pupperoni and carry outs. I am sorry I am not aware of more of them but please read the label. I can only figure the companies want the animals to eat them so this will make them sweeter. I also found out this substance is also in Duncan Hines yellow cake mix and several containers of icing. We can read the labels, but our pets can’t. Please check the labels and refuse to buy anything with ethylene glycol in it.
Also be aware that products that contain Tea Tree oil, even ones geared to animals, can be HIGHLY Toxic, even fatal, to dogs and especially cats!
Really, I didn’t know that. Thank you for your info. I have itch med that I have been putting on my brothers dog. He could easily lick it off. I won’t use it anymore,