“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
National Dog Day began 15 years ago on August 26, as an idea by animal behaviorist and author Colleen Paige. Colleen wanted to create a “day” to celebrate all dogs, to bring attention to dogs in need of rescue, to honor dogs that devote their lives to improving and saving ours – to celebrate their unconditional love and companionship.
Looking for a fun and exciting way to celebrate our favorite holiday of the year? Here are just a few PAWsome suggestions via NationalDogDay.com:
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
2. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Send a dog-related gift to a friend or family member
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
8. Spend the day taking photos of your dog.
9. Buy an official National Dog Day Tee here and sport it proudly!
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
11. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
12. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy….or two…or five.
13. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
15. Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
16. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
17. Teach your dog a new trick.
18. Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. Take your dog to the beach.
How will YOU be celebrating and honoring your dog today?