Front Page News

Dog Death From Water Intoxication Shared By Heartbroken Owner on Tiktok

“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”

Ezgif 1 Ac193E56Fb
Image from Jesssayyw/Instagram via Newsweek

A video shared by a dog owner on Tiktok is spreading information about the dangers of kids’ pools that caused her pet to die.

With over 29,000 views, Jessie from Canada, shared in the video how her 18-month-old Border Collie died. “My sweet Win passed away over the weekend due to water intoxication from playing in a baby pool for about an hour with four inches of water,” Jessie said in the caption.

Winter died on June 11 from water intoxication. 

Jessie told Newsweek: “He was playing in his baby pool splashing around (as he often did many times last summer) and somehow this time became fatal. He was playing for not even an hour, and with no more than four inches of water—it’s in the video. He started playing fetch with my best friend, taking a break from splashing, and then I noticed he was getting tired—which is normal for dogs, especially Border Collies on a hot day after playing—he came up to me and I noticed his gums were a bit more pale than normal, I work in health care and pay attention to detail. He was panting and wanted to go back inside so in we went. After a few steps into the house, Winter threw up a massive amount of water and I immediately knew something was wrong. He walked a few more steps and collapsed and starting shaking, drooling, and whining.”

Jessie, who was in shock, called for the emergency veterinarian right away. But despite leaving immediately, Winter was limp when he arrived at the vet.

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning, hyperhydration, or water toxemia, happens when the body is overwhelmed by an excessive amount of water. When this happens, the animal’s sodium levels are depleted due to water intoxication. The body then increases fluid intake inside the cells to rebalance itself, causing organs to expand.

Smaller canines and high-energy dogs who spend more time in the water are known to be more prone to water intoxication. Lethargy, bloating, lack of coordination, vomiting, dilated pupils, and drooling are indicators of water intoxication.

If you feel your dog is suffering from water intoxication, the American Kennel Club recommends taking them to a veterinarian or an emergency facility immediately. 

While it is not essential to completely prevent your dog from entering the water, keeping water play sessions brief and providing regular pauses to keep your dog safe is critical.

Image 100572046 13348155
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top

Like Us for Wonderful Dog Stories and Cute Photos!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest dog news, recall alerts, and giveaways!

You have Successfully Subscribed!