“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Corgis have been increasingly popular due to tons of dog celebrities online like Maxine Fluffyroad and Geordi La Corgi & Scotty. In fact, they’re so lovable that Queen Elizabeth has owned 14 generations of Corgis.
Their short legs, thick fur, and adorable faces are what make them so desirable. Corgis have become so popular that they jumped from 24th in ranking back in 2008 all the way up to 11th in 2020 according to the American Kennel Club.
Are you interested to know more about this breed? Do you have plans of getting a Corgi but are still doing your own research before making the decision? Read this blog to learn more about this adorable breed.
Fact #1: There are 2 types of Corgis
There are 2 types of Corgi breeds namely the Pembroke Welsh Corgi and the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. The ones you see all over the internet that are “bootylicious” and have cute, short tails are the Pembroke Welsh Corgis. Physically, the two almost look similar, but they have a few notable characteristics that can make you tell them apart. First of all, the Pembroke Welsh usually have their tails docked 2-5 days after birth due to breed standards. These are the type of Corgis the Queen owns as well.
The Cardigan Welsh, on the other hand, are the lesser known of the two. Although they still have short legs and a long body, they’re slightly bigger than their counterparts. They have a long, bushy tail, similar to that of a fox. The Cardigan Corgi’s ears are also longer and more oblong, while the Pembroke Corgi’s ears are more pointy.
Fact #2: They were originally bred as herding dogs
Both breeds of Corgis come from different origins, but they were both bred as herding dogs. Both of them were used by farmers to guide the cattle and guard the barnyard. Their physical characteristics of short legs and a long body make it quick for them to move around and avoid getting hit by cattle. And because of how short they are, it’s easy for them to nip at the heels of the cattle to keep them moving.
Fact #3: The word “Corgi” literally means “dwarf dog”
Although the origin of the word “Corgi” isn’t completely confirmed, it is said that the Welsh combined the word “cor” which means dwarf with “gi” which means dog in their language. Some also say that “cor” can also mean to watch over or gather, which describes their role as herding dogs. We think that the meaning of “dwarf dog” perfectly suits the characteristics of a Corgi, don’t you?
Fact #4: They are great family dogs
Corgis are very smart, energetic and loyal. They’re great with children too. And those big ears of theirs not only make them cute, but make them great guard dogs as well due to their sharp hearing senses.
Pembrokes are known to be the more energetic of the two breeds, while Cardigans can be a bit more laid back and quiet. No wonder Pembrokes love to be in the spotlight on social media!
Not only do they have great personalities, but their size makes it convenient for you to bring them around. Plus, you don’t need a huge space to own one of these small house dogs. Regardless of which one of the two you choose, you’re sure to have a loyal friend and constant companion!
Fact #5: Corgis are low-maintenance
Because of their history as herding breeds, Corgis have been bred to be low-maintenance. They don’t have that many health problems and need to be bathed just like other low-maintenance dogs. The general rule of thumb is to bathe them once a month, but this will also depend on how dirty they are and where they have been. They also have a lifespan of 12-15 years, which means they have plenty of time with you.
Do note however that low-maintenance doesn’t mean no maintenance. You still need to keep them active by walking and playing with them as overweight dogs will have more health complications.
Fact #6: They are expensive dogs
Yes, Corgis are low-maintenance, but be prepared to splurge a bit because they can be quite expensive. Corgis can range from $600-1,200 depending on the area. Some can even go as high as $4,000 if their parents are from a champion bloodline. The fact, however, is that they aren’t that expensive once you own one. They are only expensive when you choose to buy one from a breeder. Breeders price them so high because of how popular they are!
And despite these exorbitant prices, you still see people spending a huge amount just to get their hands on a Corgi. No wonder breeders still choose to price them so high.
If buying a Corgi from a breeder is too expensive, adopting dogs from a local shelter is another great option. You may even find a purebred one there. And not only will adopting save you money, you’ll be able to give a dog a second chance at life too.
Fact #7 Corgis shed a lot
Shedding is a natural process that all dogs go through. Corgis are no exception – they will shed their hair coat twice a year, usually in the spring and fall.
There are a few things you can do to help minimize the amount of shedding your Corgi experiences. First, make sure they get plenty of exercise – this will help to release any excess hair that they may be holding onto.
Secondly, brush them regularly with a good quality dog brush – this will help to loosen and remove any dead hair.
- 🐾【 Self-Cleaning Mechanism 】: The slicker brush features a unique self-cleaning mechanism that allows you to easily removes hair from the brush with just the push of a button.
- 🐾【 Efficient Fur Removal, Gentle On Your Pet's Skin 】: The pet hair brush is designed with fine 135° stainless steel bristles and gentle massage particles that effectively remove loose hair, dander, & dirt trapped beneath the fur without causing any discomfort or irritation to the pet's skin. Leave the pet's fur soft and shiny!
- 🐾【 Suitable For All Coat Types 】: The dog brush for shedding is suitable for use on dogs, cats, and small animals with all coat types, including long, short, curly, wiry, and even heavy coats.
- 🐾【 Unique Handle, Ergonomic Design 】: Features an ergonomic design with a non-slip handle that provides a comfortable grip. The lightweight brush, weighing only 89g, allows for extended periods of grooming without experiencing fatigue. This design ensures that both you and your pet are comfortable during grooming sessions.
- 🐾【 Durable & Long-lasting 】: The slicker brush is made of high-quality TPR material, sturdy and durable construction that is built to last, ensuring that pet owners can enjoy its benefits for years to come.
- Developed with pawfessional groomers for everyday de-shedding, detangling and removing small mats
- Features two brushes and grooming actions in one! One side contains stainless steel tips with a protective coating to remove lose hair and detangle coat; the other side has dense nylon bristles to redistribute natural oils for a healthy, shiny coat
- Ergonomically designed handle allows for maximum comfort and control
Finally, consider using a antistatic coat spray or powder – these can help to reduce the amount of static electricity in their coat, which can make shedding worse.
- FLY AWAY HAIR CONTROL FOR DOGS – Our anti-static spray leaves the coat silky & easy to brush. It's a gentle dematting spray for dogs, puppies & kittens
- NATURAL DETANGLER SPRAY FOR DOGS – This pet spray conditioner controls static & flyaway hair without making hair stiff or tacky. Our dog detangler spray will not flake & shampoos out easily
- CRUELTY-FREE PET SUPPLIES – Our dog products are non-irritating & cruelty-free. Our conditioning spray conditions the skin while promoting a healthy, shiny coat
- MADE FOR PET LOVERS – We are earth-conscious, use the finest ingredients & are transparent with labeling. Treat your pets like family with our collection of Bio-Groom Dog Shampoo and Conditioners
- FAMILY OWNED SINCE 1971 – Bio-Groom Shampoo has been leading the industry in gentle shampoo since 1971. Today, Bio-Groom has 80+ pet products for your dogs, cats, & horses!
- WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: ALL-NATURAL: Made from natural and naturally derived ingredients only.
- INSTANTLY ZAP FREE: Removes static instantly in pets/horses, clothing/blankets/linens, hair and just about anything that accumulates static. Lasts ALL DAY.
- FRESH SCENT: Dissipates right away so not to interfere with perfumes/colognes.
- FREE FROM: Parabens, gluten, phthalates, formaldehyde donors, animal testing.
- MADE IN USA: We are a family, woman owned business with a mission to bring a static free confidence to everyone. Eco & ozone friendly, Non-staining, Non-accumulating, Non-toxic, Non-propellant, Non-flammable.
So, what are your thoughts on the Corgi breed after reading this blog post?