“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Forget your parents or friend’s opinion of your potential significant other, a whopping 80% of pet parents say their dog’s reaction to a new love interest influences their feelings towards them, according to a “Dating with Dogs” survey sponsored by Wag!, the on-demand dog care app.
“It comes as no surprise to us at Wag! that dog parents place a premium on their dogs’ opinions of other humans and that this plays a deciding factor in their love lives,” said Wag! CEO Hilary Schneider. “We make it our mission to keep pet families happy and healthy, and we love hearing stories about the important roles our dogs play in the romantic lives of their owners.”
The survey, commissioned by OnePoll, included 3,500 responses from dog owners across America. In addition to cementing the crucial role that dogs play in romantic relationships, the responses revealed trends in dating practices such as: post-breakup custody of a pet, the right time to introduce your dog to your date, and the benefits of featuring Fido in your dating profile.
The survey revealed some fetching facts:
• Taking your pooch out could help you find your fur-ever love—with 68 percent of singles saying they’ve been flirted with while walking their dog.
• 3 out of 10 dog parents have used their dog to attract a potential partner and they were successful 84 percent of the time.
• Over 73 percent of dog parents are more likely to ‘swipe right’ on a person’s profile pic that includes their pup.
• Your pup can help seal the deal, 78 percent of dog parents reported that they were more likely to go home with a potential partner if they have a dog versus someone who is pooch-less.
• More than 16 percent of married dog owners said they would choose to celebrate their pup’s birthday over their spouse’s
• San Francisco residents win the title of Dog’s Best Friend: 1 in 5 dog owners have let their dog eat off their plate during a date.
• The Northeast is full of party animals: 1 out of 4 people said they met a love interest at a party thrown for a dog.
Wag! is an on-demand mobile app that gives pet parents more flexibility to manage everyday life and care for their dogs by giving instant access to experienced and trustworthy dog walkers, sitters, and boarders in their local community. Wag! walks are insured and bonded and every walker has passed a thorough vetting process before being invited to walk dogs on the platform. Wag! is a proud sponsor of the Rescue Bank and donates proceeds from every Wag! walk to provide meals to shelter dogs nationwide. Wag! also partners directly with shelters in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York City.