If you’re one of the 43.3 million dog owners in America, starting a dog walking or a pet-sitting business might be just the job you’ve always dreamed of. And, in addition to being a fun and active endeavor, dog walking and pet-sitting businesses are more lucrative that you might expect.
Take a look at these statistics:
– According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, dog walkers charge, on average, $10 to $15 per hour, per dog.
– Pet sitters can earn anywhere from $15 to $50 per day, per dog, depending on which services are provided.
– Pet owner spending continues to rise every year, with dog walking and pet-sitting businesses experiencing the highest rate of growth. In 2011, dog walkers and pet sitters earned nearly $4 billion!
– A decade ago, dog walkers and pet sitters were few and far between. Today, the demand for these pet services is still not fully met with enough providers.
– 36.5% of American households have one or more dogs. To determine if dog walking or pet sitting could be big business in your town, multiply the number of residents by 0.365 for an estimate of how many local households could benefit from your services.
Another great aspect of starting your own dog walking or pet-sitting business is the relatively small start-up costs. As with any business, there will be start-up costs. For dog-based businesses, these include items you probably already have at home (poop bags and leashes) or can make at home (like treats and upcycled toys).
Best of all, besides spending your time with dogs – the most grateful customers there are – you get to be your own boss. Set your own hours, determine how much (or how little) you want to work, and feel good about getting out of bed every day to do what you love!
Ready to get started?
For some, starting a new business can be intimidating. That’s why we’ve created an easy, step-by-step guide to starting your own dog walking or pet-sitting business. From getting started, to finding clients, to performing your dog-related duties, we’ll guide you every step of the way.
Turn Your Love of Dogs Into a Business, the Kindle book by The Dogington Post, is your ultimate guide to starting from scratch. We cover the risks, the rewards, your daily dog duties, recordkeeping requirements, and even include important sample forms for customers and recipes for saving on expenses by making your own treats.
Whether you want to work part-time for added income or be devoted to dogs with a full-time lucrative career, Turn Your Love of Dogs Into a Business will guide you every step of the way.
For more information or to download the ebook, click here!